Munich (Germany) (AFP) – Bayern Munich centre-back Jerome Boateng said that Germany has “taken a step back” after being left “shocked” by the racist abuse of Hertha Berlin defender Jordan Torunarigha during a game earlier this month.
The 22-year-old Torunarigha was sent off during extra time of his club’s German Cup defeat by Schalke on February 4 after allegedly hearing monkey chants and other racist abuse in Gelsenkirchen.
“It shocked me and it hurts. To see a young person in Germany crying on the pitch because he has suffered racist abuse, it’s very sad,” German 2014 World Cup-winner Boateng told AFP subsidiary SID.
The German football federation and local police have opened investigations into the incident.
“It happened from time to time to me in the Bundesliga too,” added Boateng, whose father is Ghanaian and whose half-brother, Kevin-Prince, plays internationally for Ghana.
“In these cases, we need the help of the fans who are nearby, so they can identify the perpetrators.
“It’s a very unpleasant feeling. We’re thinking about the future, I have children in Germany.
“I thought we had passed this stage, and that was the case. But unfortunately we have taken a step back, which is sad and hurtful for many people.”
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Premier League’s most underrated XI in the 2021/22 season
- Marseille secure Champions League place as Bordeaux go down
- RB Leipzig win first German Cup trophy
- Ten-man RB Leipzig win German Cup final on penalties
- La Rochelle boost Top 14 play-off hopes ahead of Euro final
- Fiorentina beat Juve to reach Conference League, Atalanta out of Europe
- ‘Very happy’ Mbappe snubs Real Madrid to stay at PSG
- Lyon beat Barca to claim eighth Women’s Champions League
- Which countries are FIFA World Cup rivals?
- Rangers lift Scottish Cup trophy after Europa League heartache