London (AFP) – Sheffield United announced Thursday that they had broken their club transfer record to sign Norway midfielder Sander Berge from Genk.
The 21-year-old joins the Premier League club from the Belgian champions for a fee that surpasses the £20 million ($26 million, 24 million euros) the Blades paid for Oli McBurnie in pre-season, although neither club revealed the transfer fee.
“United have once again smashed the club’s transfer record to secure the services of a highly-rated Norwegian international midfielder on a long-term contract,” The Blades said in a statement.
Berge has signed a four-and-a-half year contract.
“The board have really backed us in this window to bring in players of the quality of Sander. He fits the bill in so many ways,” said United coach Chris Wilder.
“He’s a Norwegian international who has played 20 times for his country, he’s also played Champions League football and we’re delighted he has decided to come to Bramall Lane.”
Sheffield United are currently an impressive eighth in the Premier League table, having only been promoted to English football’s top flight last season.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Qatar World Cup’s perplexing personal safety concerns
- Nottingham Forest need penalties to reach playoff final
- Liverpool beat Southampton to take title race to final day
- Frankfurt boosted by Lindstrom return for Europa League final
- Manchester United 2022/23 shirts leaked ahead of new season
- Senegal’s president supports Gueye after homophobia accusations
- Roofe gives Rangers cover for Europa League final
- Lucky trousers, big dreams as Glasner leads Frankfurt to Europa League final
- Hamburg relishing play-off bid to return to Bundesliga
- Houghton picked in provisional England squad for women’s Euros