The highlight of the women’s FA Cup fifth round draw on Monday saw fourth-tier giant killers Ipswich Town travel to holders Manchester City in February.
Ipswich produced the shock of the fourth-round games with a win away to Huddersfield. This is the first time the club’s history that they have reached the last-16.
The Tractor Girls ply their trade in the FA Women’s Premier League South East Division One. They are in a strong position to gain promotion this season – sitting second after 10 games, two points behind leaders AFC Wimbledon and with two games in hand.
Meanwhile, Manchester City are top of the Women’s Super League – ahead of Arsenal on goal difference, though Chelsea would overtake with a victory in their game in hand. All three teams are football betting favourites for both of this season’s domestic league and cup titles.
2016 champions City reached the second round of the women’s Champions League this season and won last season’s FA Cup for the second time, beating West Ham United in the final. They saw off rivals Manchester United to setup this tie.
Ipswich Town could be joined by fellow fourth-tier side Southampton Women’s FC, but they have to go to Crystal Palace in a fourth-round replay if they are to match the Suffolk team’s performance. Ipswich have had to progress through six ties to reach this stage of the competition, while Women’s Super League and Championship sides entered at the fourth round.
Monday’s draw produced two all-Women’s Super League ties – Chelsea versus Liverpool, and Everton travelling to Bristol City.
Record winners of the women’s FA Cup, Arsenal, were handed a home tie to Championship side Lewes. The Gunners have won the competition 14 times – the first in 1993, and the most recent in 2016.
Sunderland, the only side left from the third-tier, host Birmingham City. Tottenham Hotspur go to Butts Park Arena to face Coventry United in a matchup between two sides who have never reached the final.
The fifth-round FA Cup ties are scheduled to be played on Sunday 16 February, whilst the final will take place at Wembley Stadium for the sixth consecutive season on Saturday 9 May.
The draw in full:
Bristol City vs Everton
Coventry United vs Tottenham Hotspur
Leicester City vs Reading
Crystal Palace/Southampton Women’s vs Brighton
Manchester City vs Ipswich Town
Arsenal vs Lewes
Sunderland vs Birmingham City
Chelsea vs Liverpool
30+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch LaLiga, Liga MX & MLS
- Includes TUDN, GolTV, Univision, beIN SPORTS and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch LaLiga, Primeira Liga and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $5.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Serie A, Bundesliga, FA Cup, EFL & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $5.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more