London (AFP) – Leicester boss Brendan Rodgers expects Jamie Vardy to return from injury for Tuesday’s League Cup semi-final second leg at Aston Villa.
Vardy missed the club’s FA Cup fourth-round win at Brentford on Saturday after suffering a glute injury during last week’s win against West Ham.
It was initially feared Leicester’s 17-goal leading scorer could be sidelined for several weeks.
But Rodgers revealed on Monday that the 33-year-old was fit enough to be involved at Villa Park as Leicester try to book a Wembley final date with Manchester City or Manchester United.
“He’ll be in the squad,” Rodgers said at his pre-match press conference. “He’s worked very hard since picking up the injury in midweek.
“We’ll give it another full day, so we can see how he is tomorrow and decide if he starts or comes off the bench. But he will have a part to play.”
Leicester were held to a 1-1 draw by Villa in the semi-final first leg at the King Power Stadium.
Rodgers, chasing his first final appearance as Leicester boss, would love to have Vardy available for 90 minutes against Villa, but he will not risk the striker’s long-term fitness by pushing him too hard.
“Will he be 100 percent? He might only be at 80 percent fitness but I’d rather have an 80 percent Jamie Vardy than no Jamie Vardy at all, because of what he gives the team and his threat,” Rodgers said.
“But we also have to consider the risk of further injury and that’s what we’re weighing up.
“He’s come through the last two days on the (training) field well. We’ll see how that looks in the morning, but I’m very confident he’ll be involved in some part.”
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- ‘Fake tickets’ to blame for Champions League final delay, UEFA say
- ‘Record man’ Ancelotti puts his landmark down to luck
- Ancelotti keeps calm amid the storm to make Real Madrid champions again
- Which European soccer teams are touring the USA in summer 2022?
- Vinicius strikes as Real Madrid beat Liverpool in Champions League final
- ‘Fake tickets’ to blame for Champions League final delay say UEFA
- Champions League final kicks off late due to ‘fiasco’ outside Stade de France
- Drama as Mamelodi Sundowns complete South African clean sweep
- Liverpool and Real Madrid’s mouth-watering final kicks-off after delay
- Champions League final kick-off delayed ‘for security reasons’