Glasgow (AFP) – Rangers said on Monday Colombia striker Alfredo Morelos was racially abused by Celtic fans during last weekend’s Old Firm derby.
Morelos, 23, was sent off in the closing stages of Rangers’ 2-1 win on Sunday following a second bookable offence and his side claim it was at that point he was targeted by home supporters at Celtic Park.
“We believe Alfredo was racially abused and we would expect now that all measures will be taken to identify and deal with those responsible,” said a Rangers spokesman.
Celtic replied via a statement, saying: “We are aware of the gestures made by the player towards Celtic supporters.
“We have received no reports of any racial abuse but would fully investigate any should these be brought to our attention.”
Meanwhile Morelos himself made what some viewed as inflammatory gestures by moving his hand across his throat as he made his way off the field.
Morelos’s red card was his seventh in two seasons, with the forward still yet to score in an Old Firm game.
Rangers’ first win at the home of their arch Glasgow rivals in nine years left them two points behind league leaders Celtic, who are bidding to win a ninth successive Scottish Premiership title.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- The Spaniard raised at Barcelona who made Hong Kong football history
- ‘One in a million’ Klopp makes Liverpool a European giant once more
- Harmony reigns as Ancelotti and Real Madrid proves a winning combination
- Real Madrid remain Europe’s most valuable football club: report
- Tearful Mourinho hails Conference League ‘history’ for Roma
- Mbappe’s rumored benefits allow too much power for one player
- Zaniolo fires Roma to Conference League triumph over Feyenoord
- Kompany ‘parts ways’ with Belgium’s Anderlecht
- FOX & fuboTV’s UEFA Nations League plans raise concerns
- Robertson urges Scotland to put sentiment aside in Ukraine play-off