Berlin (AFP) – Broadcaster Sky has lost the rights to the Champions League in Germany, a competition it has screened for the last 20 years, to rivals DAZN and Amazon, it was confirmed Thursday.
Sky was unable to match their rivals’ bids for the three years from the 2021-22 season.
“After around 20 years of partnership with UEFA, we were unable to agree on a continuation of the cooperation in the tender procedure that has just been concluded,” Sky CEO Carsten Schmidt told German daily Bild.
Schimdt said they have a “clear and responsible economic vision of sports broadcasting rights” and were “not prepared to go beyond the already high value at which we evaluate these rights”.
According to Bild, streaming platform DAZN has won the rights to air live Champions League matches from 2021-22, including the final, which it will share with state broadcaster ZDF.
Amazon will have the right to broadcast one match on a Tuesday in each round.
The US e-commerce giant entered the sports streaming market in 2017 and has since broadcast major events in both football and tennis.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- ‘Next Messi’ Bojan learned, suffered in itinerant career
- Finalists Orlando Pirates vow to avoid another Moroccan mauling
- Arsenal face Chelsea, Everton and Orlando on US summer tour
- ‘All heroes’ – Trapp hails support as Frankfurt win Europa League
- Eintracht Frankfurt beat Rangers on penalties to win Europa League
- ‘Historic’ equal pay deal for US men and women footballers
- Tuchel tells Chelsea to prepare for ‘rebuilding’ to keep up with rivals
- Charlotte vs Chelsea tickets on sale for July 20 clash
- ‘Uncomfortable’ Magath plots against old club Hamburg in play-off
- Senegal probing feared homophobic attack by mob