Believe it or not, the most popular soccer league in the U.S. based on TV ratings is Liga MX. Of course, the proximity to Mexico combined with the number of Mexicans and Mexican-Americans is the main reason for the league’s popularity. But the amazing atmospheres in stadiums, energy from the commentators and exciting back and forth play makes the experience very enjoyable to watch as a fan. And in one of the best-kept secrets for soccer fans in the United States, many of the games are available to watch with English-language commentary on TV and streaming.
TUDN has English-language rights to the home games of most Liga MX teams. FOX Sports has exclusive rights to home matches featuring Monterrey, Santos Laguna, and Tijuana. FOX Sports and TUDN do not have the English-language rights to the home games for San Luis and Chivas. Unlike the majority of sports leagues around the world, Liga MX allows teams to individually negotiate television rights for themselves.
TUDN shows English-language matches on TUDNxtra, their overflow streaming channel. TUDNxtra is available on a select number of providers:
1) fuboTV. The easiest and most seamless way to watch TUDNxtra is via the streaming service fuboTV (free trial), which has all 11 TUDNxtra channels integrated into their app.
Whenever a Liga MX game is scheduled to broadcast on TUDN in Spanish, TUDNxtra will stream the game with English-language commentary.
To find it on fuboTV, look for the upcoming listings of games (see screengrab below). where there will be two broadcasts of each Liga MX game. The one that says “TUDN Xtra1” is the English-language broadcast.
2) Other providers. Comcast Xfinity added TUDNxtra to their service. DISH Network also has TUDNxtra directly on their platform. Subscribers to Google Fiber can access TUDNxtra because the network is integrated into the service. Cox and Altice (Optimum and Suddenlink) can view TUDNxtra through authenticated logins.
3) TUDN app. The service is also accessible through the TUDN app.
4) Directly via the TUDNxtra web page. Click on the live game, and log in by authenticating your username and password from your cable, satellite or streaming provider (as long as they’re one of the approved ones mentioned above).
5) FOX Sports. Select games will be televised in English-language late at night on FS1 or FS2. Unfortunately, FOX Sports never promotes them, so if there is a home Santos Laguna, Monterrey or Tijuana game, check the FS1 and FS2 TV schedules to see if the game will be aired.
Fans of MLS can take advantage of the off-season and give Liga MX a chance. It will give them the opportunity to see the exciting talent playing in Mexico. Since the 2020 MLS All-Star game will now be a clash between the best from the two leagues, it’s only right to begin scouting for competition now using TUDNxtra.