Monaco (AFP) – Paris Saint-Germain’s Ligue 1 match at Monaco on Sunday evening has been called off due to forecast heavy storms.
The fixture “will be postponed to a later date” Monaco announced.
That could be problematic. PSG, who are in the Champions League, are scheduled to play twice a week until the French mid-season break between December 21 and January 11.
A spokesman for PSG said the squad, which was already in the south of France, would fly back from Nice at around 16.00 local time.
A thousand Parisian supporters had been expected in the Principality and PSG tweeted that it would send them “an email with the terms of exchange or refund.”
Both clubs are scheduled to play on Wednesday, with PSG at home to Nantes and Monaco at Toulouse.
On Sunday morning, two French regions, including Alpes-Maritimes which surrounds the principality, were placed on red alert for floods by Meteo France, the French weather service.
It said the area faces what it called a “marked Mediterranean episode” of intense storms.
Rainfall could total as much as 200mm (almost eight inches) over the weekend, Meteo France said. It said that it expected coastal areas to be the most affected, with “very significant risks of runoff and overflow from coastal rivers.”
PSG are five points clear of Marseille with Monaco in 14th, just three points clear of the relegation zone.
As for Sunday’s lost fixture, the “Professional Football League Competitions Committee will later set the date of the match” the league said in a statement.
In Alpes-Maritimes and the neighbouring Var region 148 municipalities were declared disaster areas on Saturday after the damage caused by a previous Mediterranean episode last weekend, which resulted in the death of six people in the Var.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
110+ channels, live & on-demand
- Price: $59.95/mo. for Plus Package
- Includes FOX, FS1, ESPN, TUDN & more
- Sling Blue, Peacock and Paramount+ provide the best games for less
- Sling Blue to air over 50 Premier League games through year end
- Where to find Denmark vs. France on US TV
- Where to find Chelsea vs. Manchester City on US TV
- CBS Sports to televise more women’s soccer matches
- Messi claims he had trouble finding himself at PSG
- Arsenal set Women’s Super League attendance record
- Southgate, Kane claim England are nearly powerless over Qatar
- Premier League should be decreased to 18 teams, says David Dein
- Southgate holding England back from being world beaters