New York (AFP) – Lawyers for doping whistleblower Grigory Rodchenkov on Tuesday called for the International Olympic Committee to take a hardline stance against Russiaafter a World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) panel recommended a four-year ban.
In a statement, attorneys Jim Walden and Avni Patel said Russian efforts to falsify data handed over to WADA investigators were part of a “predictable and deplorable policy of deception.”
“The Kremlin must think the people of the world are idiots to believe this shameless and transparent stunt,” the lawyers said.
“WADA should be applauded for revealing Russia’s latest crime, but if the IOC and the international sports regulatory framework gives Russia yet another free pass, other countries will simply follow in their footsteps.”
Walden and Patel represent Rodchenkov, the former head of Russia’s anti-doping laboratory who is living in hiding in the United States after lifting the lid on the drugs scandal in 2015.
The Rodchenkov attorneys also said individual governments should enact legislation to make doping a crime.
“Governments across the world need to enact powerful legislation that squarely criminalizes doping fraud in order to put a stop to this kind of dangerous criminal behavior,” the lawyers said.
The statement came a day after WADA revealed its Compliance Review Committee had recommended a four-year sanction against Russia after accusing Moscow authorities of doctoring data handed over to its investigators earlier this year.
Full disclosure of data from Moscow’s drug-tainted testing laboratory was a central condition of the suspension of the Russian Anti-Doping Agency (RUSADA) being lifted in 2018.
But WADA said in its statement on Monday that the data provided to it by Moscow was “neither complete nor fully authentic”.
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family