Paris (AFP) – The French football league (LFP) announced on Wednesday it had voted to ‘suspend’ it’s League Cup competition from next year.
The tournament, which was founded in 1994 and modelled on the English League Cup, includes all the clubs from France’s two top divisions, augmented by a handful of clubs from the third tier.
The winner is rewarded with a spot in the second-tier Europa League. That place will now be awarded on the basis of the Ligue 1 final table.
“This decision allows us to reduce the season schedule which gives players more time to recover and will give an extra European spot, via the Ligue 1 standings for the 2020-2021 season,” said a LFP statement.
“Depending on the market, the LFP reserves the right to relaunch the competition at a later date.”
French champions Paris Saint-Germain have won the cup a record eight times. Strasbourg are the current holders. They beat Guingamp on penalties in March.
The move means that among Europe’s big five leagues only England will have a League Cup from next season.
100+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $29.99/mo. for fubo Español Package
- Watch Premier League, LaLiga, Liga MX & MLS
- Includes NBC, NBCSN, ESPN, FS1, FS2, TUDN, beIN SPORTS and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch LaLiga, Primeira Liga and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $5.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Serie A, Bundesliga, FA Cup, EFL & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $5.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more