Women’s World Cup opening weekend posts impressive TV ratings
From the opening weekend of the 2019 Women’s World Cup, both FOX Sports and Telemundo posted impressive TV ratings including 1.48 million viewers for the England-Scotland World Cup game on over-the-air FOX, which trumped the 1 million viewers who watched the friendly between the US Men’s National Team and Venezuela immediately afterwards.
After three days of the tournament, England’s win against Scotland on Sunday was Telemundo’s most-watched game of the tournament with a Total Audience Delivery average of 472,000 viewers across Telemundo, TelemundoDeportes.com, the Telemundo Deportes En Vivo app, and the NBC Sports app.
Through the seven matches that aired over the weekend, Telemundo doubled the 2015 Group Stage average (excluding 2015 Mexico matches, as that team didn’t qualify for this year’s event).
Telemundo Deportes’ three-day tournament opening TV-only audience averaged 258,000 viewers, outperforming historical group stage averages (excluding Mexico team).
On the English-language side, FOX Sports averaged impressive viewing numbers for the other games televised including:
• 1.2M for Norway-Nigeria on FOX on Saturday from 3-5pm ET
• 1M for Spain-South Africa on FOX on Saturday from 12-2pm ET
• 1M for USMNT-Venezuela on FOX on Sunday from 2-4pm ET
• 600K for Brazil-Jamaica on FS1 on Sunday from 9-11am ET
• 492K for France-Korea (opening game) on FS1 on Friday from 3-5pm ET
• 473K for Germany-China on FS1 on Saturday from 9-11am ET
• 321K for Australia-Italy on FS1 on Sunday from 7-9am ET
From the first three days of the 2019 Women’s World Cup, viewership on FOX Sports is averaging 808,285 viewers. Compared to the previous Women’s World Cup in 2011 after the first two days of the competition, viewership then averaged just over a million people per match.