The debut season of the Champions League on Univision Deportes and Turner Sports has been an incredible success for UEFA and the two broadcasters who have broken numerous records as more people have watched this competition than ever before in the United States.
Both Univision Deportes and TNT are generating the most-viewed domestic coverage ever in their respective languages.
During the semifinals of the UEFA Champions League, the games averaged 1.25 million viewers per game. Univision Deportes averaged 695,000 viewers, the largest average audience ever for a UEFA Champions League semifinal round on any network, regardless of language. TNT’s four semifinal matches averaged 557,000 viewers, 26% more than last year’s coverage on FOX Sports, with double-digit gains across all key demos.
UEFA Champions League telecasts on TNT are up 54% compared to last year’s coverage on FOX Sports — featuring significant gains across all key demos, including People 25-54 (+59%), People 18-49 (+61%), People 18-34 (+52%) and Women up 96%.
The very watchable pre-match coverage by TNT has trumped the pre-game talking heads that FOX Sports had. Viewership for Turner’s B/R Football Matchday studio telecasts are up 91% when compared to last year’s pre-match shows through the UCL semifinals.
Overall, across Turner Sports, fans have consumed 1.6 billion minutes of UEFA Champions League coverage across TNT, B/R Live and TV Everywhere apps this season.
Head to head, Univision’s coverage of the UEFA Champions League is the first time since 2013 that the Spanish-language viewing numbers have surpassed the English-language average. Univision’s numbers are 25% greater than Turner Sports.
Out of all of the games, the May 1 broadcast of Barcelona-Liverpool was the most-watched UEFA Champions League semifinal match of all-time on U.S. Spanish language television averaging 789,000 viewers compared to the second leg that averaged 770,000 viewers. Combined with the TNT English-language viewing numbers, the first leg averaged 1.398 million viewers, while the second leg averaged 1.43 million viewers.
100+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $29.99/mo. for fubo Español Package
- Watch Premier League, LaLiga, Liga MX & MLS
- Includes NBC, NBCSN, ESPN, FS1, FS2, TUDN, beIN SPORTS and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch LaLiga, Primeira Liga and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $5.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Serie A, Bundesliga, FA Cup, EFL & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $5.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ