Milan (AFP) – Veteran Juventus defender Andrea Barzagli, a World Cup winner with Italy in 2006, announced Saturday that he will retire from football at the end of the season.
“When you’re a footballer you find it hard to think about life after football, but this season’s injuries helped me to understand. I’ve decided to quit in June,” the 37-year-old said after a 2-1 defeat by SPAL.
Barzagli made a rare start against SPAL — where a point would have sealed an eighth consecutive league title for Juve — after a season hampered by injury.
“I’m trying to figure out what to do next,” he said. “I am attracted to various ideas in the world of football, and I will take the time to decide.
“Playing soccer was my dream as a child. I have to find something that gives me the same enthusiasm.”
Barzagli earned 74 caps for Italy but retired after the Azzurri failed to qualify for the 2018 World Cup in Russia.
He has won seven Serie A titles and four Coppa Italia trophies with Juventus since 2011, and the 2009 German Bundesliga crown with VfL Wolfsburg.
“We wanted to wrap it up today,” he said of the Serie A title. “A pity.”
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Are World Cup tickets available for Qatar 2022?
- Minamino leaves Liverpool for Ligue 1 club Monaco
- Netherlands looks to snap World Cup dud at Qatar 2022
- Lukaku expected in Milan ‘this evening’ ahead of Inter return: CEO
- French minister apologises for Champions League chaos
- Where to find Corinthians vs. Boca Juniors on US TV
- Where to find USWNT vs. Colombia on US TV
- LAFC confirms 12-month Bale deal with options through 2024
- Barcelona unveils 2022/23 away kit to honor Olympics anniversary
- Favre new Nice coach as Galtier in PSG talks