London (AFP) – Mauricio Pochettino said it will be “difficult” for Harry Kane to play for Tottenham again this season after the forward suffered an ankle injury during their Champions League win over Manchester City.
The England captain, who suffered a “significant lateral ligament” injury in the 1-0 victory on Tuesday, is susceptible to ankle damage — this is his fifth ankle injury since 2016 and the second to his left joint this year.
“He was so upset after the game, it was a difficult moment for him,” Tottenham boss Pochettino said ahead of his side’s home match against already relegated Huddersfield on Saturday.
“We feel so disappointed and it was difficult to accept the situation,” he added.
“He is now much better, he had the scan yesterday and he needs to see the specialist next week. He is in a good place because he is a positive guy.
“It is a little bit sad but he is looking forward to recovering as soon as possible.”
When asked if he believes Kane could return this season, Pochettino said: “We’ll see, there is five weeks, it is going to be difficult.
“Next week we are going to see with the specialist. We are going to do everything to recover him as soon as possible but there is only five weeks of the season to recover.”
Surgeon Mark Davies, a leading specialist at the London Foot and Ankle Centre, who has operated on Premier League footballers, said Kane may have to consider surgery on his injured ankle.
“At some point I think they would think about doing something surgically to stabilise the ligament,” Davies told Britain’s Press Association.
“He’s not that old, he could do with a stable ankle if he wants to carry on playing long term without it happening again,” he added.
Spurs midfielder Dele Alli also fractured his left hand during Tuesday’s match.
Pochettino is hopeful Alli will be fit for the second leg, but admits the England international is unlikely to face Huddersfield.
“We need to assess him this afternoon and I am not too optimistic,” Pochettino said.
“It is very painful. He broke his hand in two parts. Yesterday he saw the specialist.
“I am more optimistic for him to be available for Manchester City in the second leg.”
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- A Review of ‘A Woman’s Game’ book by Suzanne Wrack
- Qatar warns against unauthorised use of World Cup logo on car plates
- Where to find Avaí vs. Palmeiras on US TV
- Where to find Atlas vs. Cruz Azul on US TV
- Where to find Philadelphia Union vs. NYCFC on US TV
- Bale confirms MLS move to Los Angeles FC
- Bale heading to MLS with LAFC move: reports
- Where to find Austin FC vs. FC Dallas on US TV
- Nominate best soccer coverage across video, audio & written word
- Forest sign Nigeria striker Awoniyi from Union Berlin