London (AFP) – Scotland captain Andy Robertson says his team are at “rock bottom” after their first two Euro 2020 qualifiers, which included an embarrassing 3-0 defeat to Kazakhstan.
Liverpool left-back Robertson missed the humiliating defeat in the former Soviet republic last week due to a mouth abscess, but returned to lead his country in a 2-0 win over San Marino on Sunday, a victory that came despite another unconvincing performance.
“The country is at rock bottom just now in terms of football and we need to pick it back up,” Robertson told the BBC.
“The only way we do that is by winning games and playing a lot better.”
Scotland have not qualified for a major tournament since the 1998 World Cup and already have a mountain to climb, with Belgium and Russia also in Group I.
However, Alex McLeish’s men already have the guarantee of a play off to qualify for Euro 2020 via the Nations League, which could prove a vital safety net.
“When you get beat in a game you were meant to win, and people are saying it’s the worst result we’ve ever had, then this week was never going to be a success,” said Robertson.
“But we follow it up with not a good performance again. The lads need to stick together.”
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Iniesta’s Vissel fire manager after less than three months
- UEFA do not lack ambition for women’s Euro, says Kessler
- Are World Cup tickets available for Qatar 2022?
- Minamino leaves Liverpool for Ligue 1 club Monaco
- Netherlands looks to snap World Cup dud at Qatar 2022
- Lukaku expected in Milan ‘this evening’ ahead of Inter return: CEO
- French minister apologises for Champions League chaos
- Where to find Corinthians vs. Boca Juniors on US TV
- Where to find USWNT vs. Colombia on US TV
- LAFC confirms 12-month Bale deal with options through 2024