London (AFP) – Wales manager Ryan Giggs said midfielder Aaron Ramsey missing his country’s opening Euro 2020 qualifier against Slovakia on Sunday due to injury is a “blow”.
The 28-year-old Arsenal star — who is to join defending Serie A champions Juventus next season — has returned to his club having failed to recover from a thigh injury that prevented him playing in Wedbnesday’s 1-0 friendly win over Trinidad and Tobago.
“We hoped Aaron would make it but he has gone back to Arsenal. It’s a blow,” Giggs said at his eve of match press conference on Saturday.
However, brighter news for Giggs is that their star player Gareth Bale — instrumental like Ramsey in their surprising run to the 2016 semi-finals which included a 2-1 group stage win over the Slovakians — will return to the starting line-up having sat out the friendly.
“I’m looking forward to this qualifying campaign for Wales,” said Bale.
“We’re ready to give everything for the jersey.
“We want to be playing in the major tournaments and experience again what we’ve been through.
“We’re going for top spot. There’s no reason why we can’t win the group.”
Bale could be joined in the starting XI by highly-rated Bournemouth wing David Brooks, who appears to have recovered from an ankle injury as the 21-year-old was able to take part in training.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Maldini signs new two-year director deal with AC Milan
- Sampaoli leaves Marseille amid differences with club bosses
- Best still to come from ‘legend’ Salah after signing new Liverpool deal
- Salah ends speculation by signing new Liverpool contract
- Sampaoli leaves Marseille speaking of differences with club bosses
- Add a scarf of your favorite soccer team to our virtual wall
- Sampaoli leaves Marseille before Champions League return
- Moussa Sissoko joins Nantes from Watford
- World Soccer Talk Awards now open for voting
- Amazon secure Champions League rights in UK for first time