Lausanne (AFP) – Cristiano Ronaldo was fined 20,000 euros ($22,738) by UEFA on Thursday for mimicking Atletico Madrid coach Diego Simeone’s crotch-grabbing celebration in Juventus’ Champions League last-16 win last week.
The 34-year-old scored a second-leg hat-trick as the Italian champions overturned a 2-0 first-leg deficit to progress to the quarter-finals.
He replicated Simeone’s gesture after the first game by grasping his genitals and thrusting out his groin following his tie-winning penalty.
Argentinian Simeone was also fined 20,000 euros by UEFA for his celebration, with European football’s governing body following suit in Ronaldo’s case.
“He will have seen how I did it at the Wanda Metropolitano and, like me, was trying to show his character,” Simeone said after the match.
Ronaldo, who returns to Portugal international duty after a nine-month absence later on Thursday, has scored 24 goals for Juventus since signing from Real Madrid for 100 million euros last year.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season