Madrid (AFP) – Lionel Messi will start Friday’s friendly against Venezuela in Madrid as he makes his return for Argentina following a self-imposed eight-month exile, coach Lionel Scaloni confirmed.
Scaloni said that Messi would line up alongside Inter Milan forward Lautaro Martinez and Atlanta United’s Gonzalo Martinez in attack as he revealed his full starting team.
“It’s a joy for me and for everyone that he’s back,” Scaloni told a news conference on Thursday.
“Now what remains is try and get the team to play along with him and get the best out of him. We’re all very happy that he’s back.”
“It is the others who have to take that step so that Argentina can return to the level it had,” added Scaloni, who replaced Jorge Sampaoli as coach following the last-16 defeat by France at the 2018 World Cup.
Messi has missed six friendlies since the tournament in Russia but many believe he will be an essential part of the team that travels to Brazil for the Copa America, which kicks off June 14.
“We have a way of playing and feeling football in these six games we’ve had. We’re not going to change it, that (Messi) is coming is more incentive for us and another addition.”
“We’ve played different systems and we’re going to do it in the same way, added to his great quality,” Scaloni added.
“But we need the rest, who are all top players and key figures at their clubs, to give us that bit extra to try and be a great team.”
Scaloni refused to be drawn on whether Messi would also travel with the squad for next week’s friendly against Morocco in Tangier, but said he would not risk the Barcelona forward’s fitness.
The news that Messi would be involved for the game at Atletico Madrid’s Wanda Metropolitano ground pleased Venezuela coach Rafael Dudamel.
“The presence of the best player in the world lifts the game’s expectation,” Dudamel said.
“For us to take on Argentina is a good way to see how we stack up. The return of Lionel Messi makes the demands on us extremely high.”
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Get a Paramount+ one month free trial for a limited time
- Who should host the World Cup Final in 2026?
- Where to find Orlando Pride vs. Racing Louisville on US TV
- Ronaldo wants to leave Man United – reports
- Kylian Mbappé can shock the world again at World Cup 2022
- What is the best soccer stadium in the world?
- Where to find Santos vs. Flamengo on US TV
- Where to find Fluminense vs. Corinthians on US TV
- Romelu Lukaku homecoming provides opportunity at Inter Milan
- Wimbledon, Tour, cricket and rugby find Covid still in the air