Gelsenkirchen (Germany) (AFP) – Schalke sacked coach Domenico Tedesco on Thursday in the wake of this week’s 7-0 mauling by Manchester City.
Tedesco has paid the price for the club’s poor recent run with last season’s Bundesliga runners-up struggling in 14th, just four points off the relegation zone.
His dismissal was announced by Schalke’s director of sport Johan Schneider, who has only been in his post for a week.
“We obviously can’t ignore that our progress is very negative. When I took over this role I requested reversing this trend, something which is absolutely necessary given our serious situation in the Bundesliga,” he said.
The 33-year-old Tedesco had ruled out resigning after Tuesday’s Champions League rout, the biggest European defeat in the club’s history.
The drubbing brought the number of goals leaked by Schalke to 21 in the last five games.
Former manager Huub Stevens has been appointed caretaker coach for Saturday’s Bundesliga date with RB Leipzig.
The Dutchman coached Schalke between 1996 and 2002, and again between 2011 and 2012.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Spain star Putellas to miss Euro 2022 with knee injury
- Fantasy Premier League is live; Join our private league for 2022/23
- Euro ‘pressure a privilege’ for England captain Williamson
- Tudor promises Marseille fans he will deliver crowd-pleasing football
- PSG name ‘proud’ Galtier as new coach after sacking Pochettino
- Malacia becomes Ten Hag’s first signing at Man Utd
- Origi joins Italian champions Milan after Liverpool exit
- PSG appoint ‘proud’ Galtier as Pochettino departs
- Spurs new-boy Richarlison banned after flare celebration
- World Soccer Talk acquired by Playmaker