Berlin (AFP) – Gianni Infantino wants to speed up plans for a new Club World Cup and abolish the Confederations Cup at next week’s FIFA council meeting in Miami, according to German broadcaster ZDF.
The report says FIFA president Infantino wants to discuss expanding the Club World Cup from it’s current format of seven teams to 24, including 12 sides from Europe on Thursday and Friday in the US.
The Swiss also reportedly wants to scrap the Confederations Cup, an international tournament held the year before a World Cup by the host nation and last won by Germany in Russia in 2017.
According to the ZDF report, the new-look Club World Cup would be held from 2021, a year before Qatar hosts the 2022 World Cup.
“Yes, that’s the way it will come about, we want to say goodbye to the Club World Cup (in it’s current format) and we will make that decision,” Fernando Sarney, Brazil’s member of the FIFA Council, told ZDF.
According to the report, Infantino also wants to delay plans to introduce a global Nations League until a later date.
European football’s governing body UEFA has so far opposed the introduction of a new Club World Cup from 2021 in an already congested fixture list.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Maldini signs new two-year director deal with AC Milan
- Sampaoli leaves Marseille amid differences with club bosses
- Best still to come from ‘legend’ Salah after signing new Liverpool deal
- Salah ends speculation by signing new Liverpool contract
- Sampaoli leaves Marseille speaking of differences with club bosses
- Add a scarf of your favorite soccer team to our virtual wall
- Sampaoli leaves Marseille before Champions League return
- Moussa Sissoko joins Nantes from Watford
- World Soccer Talk Awards now open for voting
- Amazon secure Champions League rights in UK for first time