London (AFP) – West Ham manager Manuel Pellegrini admitted he left Marko Arnautovic out of the squad for Saturday’s 2-0 defeat at Bournemouth because the Austrian is distracted by talk of a potential lucrative move to China.
Arnautovic is looking to force through a transfer to the Chinese Super League after Shanghai SIPG had a reported £35 million ($44 million) bid rejected by the Premier League club.
And Pellegrini decided he wasn’t in the right frame of mind to feature at Dean Court.
“Marko has his head on another issue so I thought it was not a good idea for him to play today,” Pellegrini said.
“I don’t think we need to continue talking about players that are not in the squad in this moment. I never complain about players who are not here.
“We couldn’t win and, if Marko Arnautovic didn’t play, we have another player that must do it.”
Shanghai are said to be willing to improve their offer and Pellegrini conceded on Thursday that the 29-year-old would be allowed to depart, subject to a “good deal for both parties” being agreed.
Arnautovic, the club’s joint leading scorer with eight goals, played in last weekend’s 1-0 win over Arsenal following the first reports of the China offer.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- UK police probe Vieira pitch ‘altercation’ at Everton match
- Tuchel hails Chelsea ‘miracle’ after Kante injury issues
- Dutch striker Miedema signs new deal at Arsenal
- Trailblazing referee Yamashita proud of ‘dream’ World Cup role
- Dazzling but empty stadiums a symbol of China’s fading football dream
- Milan on brink of historic title as thrilling season heads down to the wire
- What is still at stake in Europe’s top leagues
- Granada aim to seal La Liga survival in three-way relegation fight
- Qatar World Cup marks last dance for Messi and Ronaldo
- Bordeaux, Saint-Etienne stand over relegation trapdoor on last day of season