London (AFP) – Scotland captain Andy Robertson became the latest Liverpool player to sign a new long-term contract on Thursday, with the left-back agreeing a deal until 2024.
Signed from Hull City in July 2017, Robertson has become a fundamental part of the Liverpool side that reached last season’s Champions League final and currently sits four points clear at the top of the Premier League.
“As soon as the club came to me, it was a no-brainer for me –- I want to stay here, so as soon as they put an offer on the table it was signed as quickly as that,” Robertson told Liverpoolfc.com.
“It was a pretty easy contract for me and I’m sure for the club as well. We both agreed very quickly.”
Robertson follows the likes of Roberto Firmino, Mohamed Salah, Sadio Mane and Joe Gomez in signing new contracts in the past year to remain at Anfield.
The 24-year-old has played a big part in a vast improvement in Liverpool’s defensive record that has been the catalyst for Jurgen Klopp’s men to seize an advantage over Manchester City in the title race.
Liverpool haven’t won the league for 29 years and Robertson is aware of the pressure the Reds are under to deliver either the Premier League or the Champions League this season.
“This club demands trophies and too long has probably passed without trophies,” he added.
“So I hope to help bring another couple of trophies to this club and help push in that direction because the fans demand it and the club demands it, so that’s what we aim to give.
“We came close, of course we have with the Champions League and things like that, but it’s about taking that next step and hopefully getting a winner’s medal around your neck, whatever competition it is. That is the main aim for us.”
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Man City’s Foden voted Premier League Young Player of the season
- Where to find Freiburg vs. Leipzig DFB-Pokal Final on TV
- Where to find Barcelona vs. Lyon Women’s Champions League on TV
- Where to find Rangers vs. Hearts Scottish Cup Final on US TV
- Where to find Sunderland vs. Wycombe on US TV
- Guardiola adamant winning Premier League harder than Champions League
- Klopp refuses to dream of stunning Premier League title triumph
- Berkane sink Pirates on penalties to maintain Moroccan dominance
- Ecuador World Cup spot at risk after potential ineligible player
- Real Madrid look to Liverpool after goalless draw with Real Betis