Nice (France) (AFP) – A Chinese-American group of investors are set to fully take over as owners of French Ligue 1 side Nice at the end of the season, the club’s president Jean-Pierre Rivere announced on Friday.
Rivere as well as sporting director Julien Fournier will sell their remaining 20% stake in the outfit coached by World Cup winner Patrick Vieira and the pair will stand down in May.
“It’s an open secret that we have had our differences with our owners and these tensions have intensified during the transfer window,” Riviere said in a press conference.
Hong-Kong-based OGC Nice Investment Company Ltd founded by Chinese-American Chien Lee, Chinese Alex Zheng and American Paul Conway originally bought it’s 80% share in June 2016.
Riviere and Fournier oversaw a succesful period both on and off the field for the club since arriving in 2011.
They helped the side to reach the Champions League qualifying stages for the first time in its history and sold players like Jean-Michel Serri, Alassane Plea and Brazilian Dalbert for a combined price of 75 million euros ($86m).
The Chinese-American consortium join Qataris at Paris Saint-Germain, Russians at Monaco as well as Americans at Marseille and Bordeaux as foreign majority owners of sides in France’s top-flight.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Euro glory would make Liverpool the best ever: McManaman
- Liverpool’s Salah eyes Champions League revenge against Real
- Claims stemming from Australia football probe referred to police
- Liverpool eye revenge against Real Madrid in Champions League final rematch
- Chile name Argentine Berizzo as new coach after World Cup qualification failure
- Canada Soccer cancels Iran football friendly: statement
- Paris readies for Liverpool fan invasion
- How to watch Champions League Final for free without cable
- Aston Villa to sign Sevilla defender Diego Carlos
- RB Salzburg midfielder Aaronson joins Leeds