London (AFP) – Southampton striker Charlie Austin has been suspended for two matches after making an offensive gesture towards Manchester City fans.
Austin admitted making the two-fingered action as he was substituted in the second half of Southampton’s 3-1 defeat against City at St Mary’s in December.
“The striker admitted his gesture in or around the 68th minute of the game against Manchester City on 30 December 2018 was abusive and/or insulting,” an FA statement read.
Austin’s absence will be a blow to struggling Southampton as they battle to avoid relegation.
In 2013, Jack Wilshere, then playing for Arsenal, showed the middle finger to Manchester City fans in a 4-2 defeat at the Etihad Stadium, resulting in a two-game ban.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- ‘Fake tickets’ to blame for Champions League final delay, UEFA say
- ‘Record man’ Ancelotti puts his landmark down to luck
- Ancelotti keeps calm amid the storm to make Real Madrid champions again
- Which European soccer teams are touring the USA in summer 2022?
- Vinicius strikes as Real Madrid beat Liverpool in Champions League final
- ‘Fake tickets’ to blame for Champions League final delay say UEFA
- Champions League final kicks off late due to ‘fiasco’ outside Stade de France
- Drama as Mamelodi Sundowns complete South African clean sweep
- Liverpool and Real Madrid’s mouth-watering final kicks-off after delay
- Champions League final kick-off delayed ‘for security reasons’