Berlin (AFP) – Bundesliga leaders Borussia Dortmund are reportedly looking to invest the £58 million ($74m) made from selling US international Christian Pulisic to Chelsea on both Belgium winger Thorgan Hazard and Argentine defender Leonardo Balerdi.
Chelsea signed the 20-year-old Pulisic — regarded as one of the hottest properties in European football — on a five-and-a-half year contract for next season and he will join the Blues in the summer.
Hazard, younger brother of Chelsea attacker Eden, is on Dortmund’s radar as German media widely reports that the 25-year-old has so far rejected an extension to his current Borussia Moenchengladbach contract, which expires in 2020.
The winger, who has weighed in with nine goals and six assists to help fire Gladbach to third in the German league, would reportedly cost 42 million euros ($48.4m).
The Belgium international has expressed interest in joining defending champions Bayern Munich or Dortmund — but only at the of the season.
“At the moment, I can’t say much about other clubs, because I have spoken with (club) manager Max Eberl about focusing completely on Gladbach in the second half of the season,” said Hazard.
Germany’s top-selling daily Bild reports that one of Dortmund’s lawyers is already in Argentina talking to 19-year-old Boca Juniors defender Balerdi, with his club president Daniel Angelici saying “the player wants to leave us”.
Dortmund are eyeing the Argentina Under-20 international in the current transfer window to cover for Swiss centre back Manuel Akanji, who is sidelined with a groin injury.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Everton seal Premier League survival after epic escape, Burnley out of bottom three
- Everton’s epic comeback beats Palace to secure survival
- Hamburg close in on Bundesliga return after win in Berlin
- England footballers’ wives libel spat ends with judgment reserved
- Pep Guardiola’s title-decider selections a major challenge for City
- Women to referee at World Cup finals for first time
- Marseille’s Kamara in for Pogba in France Nations League squad
- Frank optimistic Eriksen will stay at Brentford
- Flick recalls Reus in strong Germany squad
- New Man Utd manager Ten Hag to attend Palace finale – reports