London (AFP) – Gary Rowett has been sacked by Stoke City after just eight months as their manager with the club struggling to challenge for an immediate return to the Premier League.
The 44-year-old Englishman, who left Championship rivals Derby County to take over Stoke after they were relegated from the Premier League, has overseen just eight wins in 26 league matches leaving them 14th in the table.
Stoke are eight points off the play-off places and 14 adrift of Norwich, who occupy the second automatic promotion spot.
His final match in charge was the 1-1 draw with third tier Shrewsbury Town in the third round of the FA Cup last Saturday.
One of his predecessors, Mark Hughes, was sacked just over a year ago with them struggling in the Premier League and having been knocked out of the FA Cup by fourth tier Coventry.
“Stoke City have terminated the contract of manager Gary Rowett,” read a club statement.
“Members of his immediate coaching staff have also left.
“The club would like to thank Gary and his staff for their efforts over the past eight months.”
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Football fans allowed for China’s Covid-delayed kick-off
- Liverpool fans confident Reds will bounce back after Champions League setback
- Salah’s Egyptian fans share in his Champions League misery
- UEFA blames ‘fake tickets’ for Champions League final delay
- Courtois earns respect with heroics to thwart Liverpool in Champions League final
- Liverpool will ‘come again’ after anticlimactic end to stellar season
- ‘I can’t do much more’ to win Ballon d’Or – Benzema
- Families of Liverpool staff caught up in Champions League final chaos – Klopp
- ‘Fake tickets’ to blame for Champions League final delay, UEFA say
- Real Madrid win Champions League; Ancelotti breaks record