Algiers (AFP) – More than 60 people, mostly police officers, were wounded in clashes with supporters at a football match in Algeria, local authorities said on Wednesday.
The fixture between top division club MC Alger and third league Village Moussa was marred by repeated stone-throwing before the referee called it off in extra time over fears for players’ safety, government newspaper El Moudjahid reported.
The round of 16 Algeria Cup match took place in Jijel, 360 kilometres (220 miles) east of Algiers, where Village Moussa fans started throwing stones after their team conceded a third goal in the first half.
Security forces responded with tear gas and ensuing clashes wounded 62 people including 45 police officers.
Jijel Civil Protection official Ahlem Boumala told the Algeria Press Service the injuries were caused by “stones and projectiles”.
Algeria has long been plagued by violence, sometimes deadly, with fans targeting both police and players.
In mid-November around 40 people including 18 policemen were wounded after a first division match in the capital city.
The previous month, more than 80 people including 30 police officers were injured after fans invaded the pitch at a top-flight match in Bordj Bou Arreridj, around 200km south-east of Algiers.
In 2014 Albert Ebosse, a Cameroon striker with JS Kabylie, was killed on the field by a projectile thrown from the stands.
The phenomenon has continued despite sanctions, fair-play campaigns and an interior ministry commission of enquiry.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Managers warn over pitch invasions as police probe Vieira incident
- Losing to Lyon made us better, says Barca’s Bonmati
- World Soccer Talk adds national team schedules and new features
- PSG coach Pochettino in the dark over Mbappe future
- Women’s Euro 2022 on ESPN to air across TV and streaming
- Borussia Dortmund part ways with coach Marco Rose
- Klopp confirms ‘Liverpool legend’ Origi is leaving Anfield
- UK police probe Vieira pitch ‘altercation’ at Everton match
- Tuchel hails Chelsea ‘miracle’ after Kante injury issues
- Dutch striker Miedema signs new deal at Arsenal