London (AFP) – Steve Bruce has been named as the new manager of English Championship club Sheffield Wednesday, succeeding Jos Luhukay, who was sacked last month.
The 58-year-old, whose first managerial job was with Wednesday’s city rivals Sheffield United in 1998, will take over on February 1.
“Sheffield Wednesday are delighted to confirm the appointment of Steve Bruce as our new manager,” the club said on its website.
“Bruce will begin his post on 1 February 2019, before which long-time coaching associates Steve Agnew and Stephen Clemence will take charge of the team.
Wednesday are 16th in the Championship table, 10 points clear of the relegation zone.
Former Manchester United defender Bruce took Aston Villa to the Championship play-off final last season but they lost to Fulham at Wembley and he was sacked in October.
Luhukay was sacked by Sheffield Wednesday in December after less than a year in charge.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Guardiola adamant winning Premier League harder than Champions League
- Klopp refuses to dream of stunning Premier League title triumph
- Berkane sink Pirates on penalties to maintain Moroccan dominance
- Ecuador World Cup spot at risk after potential ineligible player
- Real Madrid look to Liverpool after goalless draw with Real Betis
- McKennie back in US squad for June friendlies, Nations League
- FIFA to announce 2026 World Cup host cities in June
- Rangers seek Scottish Cup silver lining after Europa pain
- Rangnick to meet Ten Hag as Man Utd seek Europa League salvation
- EPL commentators on NBC: May 22