Paris (AFP) – Marseille’s miserable run of form continued with a penalty shoot-out defeat by Strasbourg in the French League Cup last 16 on Wednesday, while Monaco reached the quarter-finals to ease some of the pressure on Thierry Henry.
After this latest setback at the Stade Velodrome, Rudi Garcia’s OM have lost eight of their last 11 matches, after finishing bottom of their Europa League group with just one point and slipping to sixth in Ligue 1.
Jonas Martin gave Strasbourg an 18th-minute lead from the penalty spot, and Dimitri Payet missed a spot-kick for Marseille midway through the second half.
Luiz Gustavo levelled for the hosts with 10 minutes remaining to force penalties after a 1-1 draw, but Payet missed again and Marseille’s latest tournament exit was confirmed when Adil Rami failed to convert their fourth effort.
Monaco are rooted in the Ligue 1 bottom two and staring a serious relegation battle in the face after a catastrophic season so far, but the principality outfit did at least claim their third win in 23 matches by edging out Lorient 1-0.
Despite a lengthy delay after the match was suspended in the 15th minute due to heavy rain in Monaco, 18-year-old Guilian Biancone scored a 70th-minute winner for the home side.
Lyon also booked their spot in the quarters, surviving a late Amiens comeback to win 3-2 with Moussa Dembele and Bertrand Traore on the scoresheet.
Holders Paris Saint-Germain saw off second-tier Orleans 2-1 on Tuesday as Edinson Cavani equalled the French League Cup goalscoring record with his 15th goal in the competition.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Guardiola adamant winning Premier League harder than Champions League
- Klopp refuses to dream of stunning Premier League title triumph
- Berkane sink Pirates on penalties to maintain Moroccan dominance
- Ecuador World Cup spot at risk after potential ineligible player
- Real Madrid look to Liverpool after goalless draw with Real Betis
- McKennie back in US squad for June friendlies, Nations League
- FIFA to announce 2026 World Cup host cities in June
- Rangers seek Scottish Cup silver lining after Europa pain
- Rangnick to meet Ten Hag as Man Utd seek Europa League salvation
- EPL commentators on NBC: May 22