Rome (AFP) – Italian police on Thursday arrested five Eintracht Frankfurt fans after clashes near the Stadio Olimpico in Rome, where their team beat Lazio in the Europa League.
Nearly 9,000 German fans were in the Italian capital for the match between the teams, who had already qualified from Group H, with Eintracht in first place and Lazio in second.
Most of the away supporters were escorted directly to the stadium in coaches.
But a group of 200 to 300 fans attempted on foot to get through a police block next to the stadium in a bid to reach the Lazio supporters, setting off smoke bombs and firecrackers, police said.
Frankfurt won 2-1 after coming back from a goal down thanks to two second-half strikes.
Shortly after Lazio scored, German fans had charged the pitch, before stewards and police marched them off.
Hundreds of Eintracht Frankfurt supporters had camped out earlier Thursday in the historic Piazza del Popolo in the heart of Rome, which they left littered with beer bottles.
Traffic in the Italian capital ground to a halt ahead of the game, with delays sparked by the police clampdown worsened by rain.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Arsenal face Chelsea, Everton and Orlando on US summer tour
- ‘All heroes’ – Trapp hails support as Frankfurt win Europa League
- Eintracht Frankfurt beat Rangers on penalties to win Europa League
- ‘Historic’ equal pay deal for US men and women footballers
- Tuchel tells Chelsea to prepare for ‘rebuilding’ to keep up with rivals
- Charlotte vs Chelsea tickets on sale for July 20 clash
- ‘Uncomfortable’ Magath plots against old club Hamburg in play-off
- Senegal probing feared homophobic attack by mob
- Lampard warns Everton against treating Palace clash as ‘all-or-nothing’ game
- ‘Historic’ equal pay deal for US men and women soccer teams