London (AFP) – Liverpool defender Joel Matip will be out of action for up to six weeks after suffering a fractured collarbone.
Matip was injured in the final minutes of Liverpool’s 1-0 win against Napoli in the Champions League at Anfield on Tuesday.
The 27-year-old landed awkwardly following an aerial challenge and is now set to undergo surgery.
“Matip was taken to hospital following the fixture and further assessment deemed an operation is required,” a Liverpool statement said.
“Early indications suggest the centre-back is facing a spell of up to six weeks out of action, though that is dependent on how Matip responds to his treatment and rehabilitation programmes.”
Cameroon centre-back Matip had started the Reds’ last three matches and his injury is blow to Liverpool’s hopes of remaining on top of the Premier League.
Jurgen Klopp’s side, who sit one point above Manchester City, are already without injured defender Joe Gomez for six weeks after he suffered a leg fracture in last week’s win at Burnley.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Which countries are FIFA World Cup rivals?
- Rangers lift Scottish Cup trophy after Europa League heartache
- Mbappe set to snub Real Madrid and stay at PSG
- Rangers win Scottish Cup to erase Europa League heartache
- Kaizer Chiefs draw and miss out on Africa next season
- La Liga president calls Mbappe PSG deal ‘insult to football’
- Mbappe chooses to stay at PSG in Real snub: reports
- Man City’s De Bruyne voted Premier League Player of the season
- Arsenal, Dortmund, Real Madrid, City and Juve kits for 2022/23
- Man City’s Foden voted Premier League Young Player of the season