Sunday’s second leg of the 2018 Copa Libertadores Final averaged 1.15 million viewers on U.S. television across FOX Deportes and Telemundo combined in an enthralling game that was won by River Plate 5-3 on aggregate against Boca Juniors.
FOX Sports had the US rights to the game in both English and Spanish, but in an interesting turn of events, FOX decided to broadcast the game on FOX Deportes and to also sub-license the rights to Telemundo, thus creating the rare chance of seeing one game on two completely separate Spanish-language networks. FOX Sports resisted the temptation to broadcast the game in English, which would have certainly given the broadcaster an additional ratings boost for a game that was the most-anticipated cup match of the weekend.
Featuring commentary by Andrés Cantor, the River-Boca game averaged 631,000 viewers on Telemundo while FOX Deportes averaged 519,000 viewers for a combined total of 1,150,000 viewers.
FOX Sports’ rights to Copa Libertadores on US TV have come to an end under the current rights cycle. The anticipation is building regarding who will win the rights for the next rights cycle. Could Telemundo acquire the rights given the interest they showed in the competition after they got permission from FOX Deportes to broadcast the second leg? Or will Univision Deportes or FOX Deportes try to steal their thunder?
Whoever gets the rights will be a winner given the increased interest in the competition this year courtesy of the two Argentine clubs as well as several exciting earlier stages in the competition.
River Plate now advances to the FIFA Club World Cup where, you guessed it, Telemundo has the Spanish-language rights to the competition.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- LAFC ‘perfect for me’ — Chiellini
- Three Boca supporters arrested for racism, Nazi salute in Brazil
- Lukaku completes return to Inter on loan from Chelsea
- German club wins inaugural European refugee cup
- Where to find Orlando City SC vs. Nashville SC on US TV
- Summer transfer market shakes up power dynamic among elite
- Where to find Vélez Sársfield vs. River Plate on US TV
- Lukaku ‘very happy’ as he arrives in Milan ahead of Inter return
- Iniesta’s Vissel fire manager after less than three months
- UEFA do not lack ambition for women’s Euro, says Kessler