London (AFP) – Aaron Ramsey plans to stay at Arsenal for the rest of this season and not make a cut-price January move after the collapse of contract talks with the Premier League club.
Arsenal could attempt to cash in on the 27-year-old midfielder in the January transfer window, with top Premier League, La Liga and Serie A clubs reportedly monitoring the situation.
But Ramsey, who is set to become a free agent at the end of the season, said: “I am contracted to Arsenal and I am going to do my best now this season to try and achieve something special.
“Everything has been going great with the club. We thought we were in a position where we had agreed a deal but that’s no longer the case.
“So I just have to carry on playing my football and do my best for Arsenal this season and I’ll leave the rest with the club now.”
The Wales international, who scored a stunning back-heel effort in Arsenal’s 5-1 win at Fulham on Sunday, has scored 59 goals in 338 appearances for Arsenal since joining from Cardiff in 2008.
Asked if he was disappointed that there was no contract on the table, Ramsey said: “That’s a decision they (Arsenal) have made and things happen in football. You just have to get on with it and carry on playing the best I can.”
Arsenal manager Unai Emery said recently that Ramsey’s contract situation would not affect his performances.
“Each player, they have their individual situations with their contracts,” Emery said of Ramsey. “He is an important player and he will be helping the team with his performance.”
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
- Includes USA, NBC, FOX, FS1 + more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Holders Wydad Casablanca among 58 CAF Champions League hopefuls
- 2022/23 LaLiga prediction: What will the final table look like?
- African players in Europe: Salah, Mane score as season starts
- Three talking points from the Premier League’s opening weekend
- Former Man Utd star Giggs goes on trial for assault
- Marseille win Ligue 1 season opener, Ramsey scores on Nice debut
- Lewandowski scores first Barcelona goal in Pumas rout
- Sundowns start season as they ended the last by topping table
- Haaland warns Premier League much more to come after dream debut
- RB Leipzig held at Stuttgart, Cologne defeat 10-man Schalke