Milan (AFP) – Italian champions Juventus are appealing the one-match closure of their south stand, saying the club should not be punished for racist chanting by a few fans towards Napoli’s Senegalese defender Kalidou Koulibaly during a league game two weeks ago.
Italian Football Federation observers reported hearing Koulibaly targeted by the chanting in the game on September 29 which hosts Juventus won 3-1 to move six points clear of Carlo Ancelotti’s side.
As a result, the ‘Curva Sud’ will be closed for one game — against Genoa on October 20 — when the champions push to keep their 100 percent record with a ninth win in the league this season.
“I don’t believe that the club should bear the responsibility for racist chants that none of us like to see or hear,” said Juventus lawyer Luigi Chiappero.
“There’s an obvious disparity of treatment between Juventus and other clubs.
“It is time to apply individual responsibility, at least where technology allows it, as in the case of Allianz Stadium.”
The Italian FA also fined the club 10,000 euros ($11,500).
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
- Includes USA, NBC, FOX, FS1 + more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Liverpool clash threatens more misery for Man Utd
- Barcelona looking for ‘patience’ despite spending spree
- Will Mbappe and Neymar flourish together this season for PSG?
- Qatar buses feel the World Cup heat in tournament test
- Scamacca opens West Ham account in Conference League win
- Mbappé and Neymar feud adds heat to PSG vs Lille clash
- Conte not expecting touchline ban after Tuchel clash
- Mendy rape accuser details alleged attack in locked room at his mansion
- Ben Brereton Díaz rumors signal ambitious signings from Nice
- Chelsea probe alleged racist abuse against Spurs forward Son