London (AFP) – Brighton defender Lewis Dunk received his first call-up into the England squad on Sunday ahead of the Nations League fixtures against Croatia and Spain.
Dunk, 26, has replaced Burnley’s injured James Tarkowski in Gareth Southgate’s 25-man squad for Friday’s match against World Cup finalists Croatia in Rijeka and the game against Spain in Seville three days later.
Brighton-born Dunk —- who signed a new five-year deal with the club on Friday -— will join the England squad on Monday.
“We are absolutely thrilled for Lewis, he fully deserves this call up,” said Brighton manager Chris Hughton in a club statement.
“He’s improved with every season, and on the back of an impressive first season in the Premier League he continues to progress; I’m delighted he has now been given recognition at international level.”
Dunk is the first Brighton player to be called up by England since Steve Foster was a member of Ron Greenwood’s squad for the 1982 World Cup in Spain and only the fourth overall.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
- Includes USA, NBC, FOX, FS1 + more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Haaland’s will to win impresses Guardiola
- Benzema, Courtois and De Bruyne nominated for UEFA award
- Serbia’s Kostic completes Juventus move
- Ten Hag does not want to lose Rashford at Man Utd
- Tuchel reveals ‘bond’ with Aubameyang amid Chelsea rumours
- Struggling Barcelona sign 100-mn-euro digital deal
- Liverpool will not panic buy despite Thiago injury blow, says Klopp
- Surprise date-change overshadows World Cup 100-day countdown
- Qatar’s ground control on alert for World Cup disasters
- Where to find Osasuna vs. Sevilla on US TV