Connect with us

Leagues: Champions League

Univision to air twice as many Champions League games on TV

Univision has announced their coverage plans for the 2018/19 UEFA Champions League that will include 97 games shown live on television, which compares to Turner’s 46 games that’ll air on TNT.

The substantial number of games to be aired on TV by Univision also carries over to the Europa League. Beginning in September, Univision Deportes will air more than 70 Europa League games live on UDN, UniMás and Galavisión compared to just one Europa League game on TNT (the final).

Beginning with the play-off round August 21-22 and 28-29, Univision Deportes will carry 137 Champions League matches live across its platforms, 97 of which will air on its linear networks – Univision, Univision Deportes Network (UDN), UniMás and Galavisión. The remaining matches will be available on UnivisionDeportes.com, the Univision Deportes app and fuboTV.

Univision Deportes’ coverage will feature a stellar team of sportscasters, including UEFA Champions League winner and Ballon D’or 1994 Hristo Stoichkov; legendary Real Madrid and Inter de Milan striker Iván Zamorano; and iconic UEFA Champions League commentators Luis Omar Tapia and Diego Balado. Recent additions to the Univision Deportes team, including Tony Cherchi, Marc Crosas and Lucía Villalon, will also contribute to coverage of UEFA events.

Univision Deportes’ coverage of UEFA competitions officially gets under way August 15 when crosstown rivals Real Madrid and Atlético de Madrid clash in the UEFA Super Cup, which features the reigning winners of the Champions League and Europa League.

SEE MORE: Schedule of UEFA Champions League games on US TV and streaming

All 137 UEFA matches will be available to authenticated users on UnivisionDeportes.com, the Univision Deportes app as well as streaming provider fuboTV.

Worth noting is that the games exclusive to Univision’s digital platforms will not require authentication.

According to Sports Illustrated, Univision Deportes will air two Champions League weekday matches at 1pm ET – one match on UNiMas/UDN and the other on Galavision. At 3pm ET there are three matches airing on Univision/UDN, UniMas and Galavision. For the Europa League’s group stage, Univision Deportes will air two matches live at both 1pm and 3pm. One on UniMas/UDN and the other on Galavision.

200+ Channels With Sports & News
  • Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
  • Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
  • Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
  • Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
  • Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
  • Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
2,000+ soccer games per year
  • Price: $4.99/mo
  • Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
  • Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
  • Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
110+ channels, live & on-demand
  • Price: $59.95/mo. for Plus Package
  • Includes FOX, FS1, ESPN, TUDN & more

33 Comments

33 Comments

1. Aaron

August 14, 2018 at 7:22 pm

The question for Uni is are they truly ready to go all in as an “english” broadcast platform. They have done small, tactical proof points to show they can deliver english one off broadcasts. But are ready to put real big $$ not just in sports but shows etc… and have their own OTT platform with top tier products in spanish and english doing big cross licensing deals. If they were smart they would leverage BEIN broadcast rights in their OTT in english in the US as a cross lic deal and get BEIN to product LigaMX, Boxing, Baseball etc.. in english for Uni.

2. Christian

August 14, 2018 at 1:26 pm

So I’ll be watching both Champions and Europa League in Spanish instead of English just like I did the World Cup? Cool. I understand that they want subscribers, but their initial plans were to show games on TNT, TBS and TruTV, no? I could’ve swore that’s what the release stated. Turner only showing the final for Europa League is ridiculous. They want me to sign up for an app that is pretty terrible. I refuse.

• Christian

August 14, 2018 at 1:30 pm

And what sucks is that Sling TV had all these channels before and I doubt they’ll be back. I can survive with the games shown on Univision and UniMas OTA though.

3. Eric T

August 13, 2018 at 7:46 pm

Turner has basically adopted a PPV model for the Champions League/Europea League with B/R Live.

They are not the only offender, but they are really setting soccer coverage in the US back tot he PPV days.

4. Brendan

August 11, 2018 at 9:59 am

Got all channels . Didn’tknow I had them .

5. Steve

August 10, 2018 at 8:56 pm

Is there a Univision Deportes app for Roku? I only see Univision Now

6. Jose Hernandez

August 10, 2018 at 7:01 pm

Forgot to mention: TNT, TBS and B/R are now own by AT&T which owns DIRECTV. Once upon a time, DIRECTV had a deal in place with FOX to make all games available on the DIRECTV platform.

Since Univision has decided to broadcast over 80% of the games on their linear platform, I see no reason on why AT&T can not do the same.

Wishful thinking? let’s wait and see

7. NaBUru38

August 10, 2018 at 1:57 pm

Luis Omar Tapia is a major coup by Univisión.

8. Eddie

August 10, 2018 at 1:22 pm

Here’s for an example of univision and turner schedule.
    Turner(tnt)- 1pm and 3pm on four matches on TNT.
    Univision(univision,unimas,galavison,and UDN) will have many games on TV.
    1pm unimas/UDN(Simulcast the game on unimas )and galavison
    3pm univision/UDN( Simulcast the game on Univision) unimas and galavison
    I got the information for this season

9. Rakesh

August 10, 2018 at 9:52 am

purchased DirectTV Now and ESPN+ yesterday ($45) total that should give me complete coverage of UCL 18/19 (TNT, Galavision, Univision) and Serie A 18/19, some EPL (NBC, Telemundo, NBCSN), and more through logins on UnivisionNOW, BeinSportsConnect (Liga, French Liga), FoxSportsGO,

10. Collin Werner

August 10, 2018 at 3:04 am

This is wonderful news!

11. Daniel

August 10, 2018 at 1:17 am

I dont speak spanish. But because of this. TNT can go EFF themselves.

12. Scott

August 10, 2018 at 12:52 am

This is why I signed up for the desportes add on to my DTV Now.

13. Jose Hernandez

August 9, 2018 at 9:04 pm

I am sure Univision and Unimas (OTA) channels will broadcast the top games of the week. Galavision and UDN will show the not so popular games. Univision is an over the air channel, and they like to show their top games on their main network. I am sure some will figure out a way to watch the game for free and get the commentary online.

14. Eddie

August 9, 2018 at 3:10 pm

What about the knockout stage,and finals of unvision plans on tv.

• David the Yank

August 9, 2018 at 3:40 pm

If I’m doing the math right, ALL of the CL knockout stage matches will show on one of the Univision TV networks.

• Eddie

August 9, 2018 at 4:10 pm

For Example of unvision networks

15. Rakesh

August 9, 2018 at 3:10 pm

Will a Univision Now subscription be enough to watch all UCL 18/19 games? I tried B/R Live today and the website is horrible.

• Oliver Tse

August 9, 2018 at 3:48 pm

Univision Now will get only the games on Univision and UniMas.

The Univision Deportes app and UnivisionDeportes (punto) com will have the extra matches i.e. matches not involving Man City, Man Utd, Tottenham, Liverpool, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Atletico de Madrid, Bayern Munich, Paris St. Germain, Juventus) for free.

Univision Deportes Network (UDN) and Galavision are pay TV channel. You will need to subscribe to pay TV (cable, satellite, MVPD over-the-top streaming i.e. DirecTV Now) to get the matches on Galavision.

That means you’ll get to watch the likes of Weston McKennie (Schalke 04) and Christian Pulisic (Borussia Dortmund) for free via Univision Deportes app and UnivisionDeportes (punto) com when those “small” teams are playing other “small” tems.

• Juan

August 9, 2018 at 4:24 pm

The UnivisionNow app on AppleTV has the stream for UDN available. The UDN App is not available on AppleTV.

16. Oliver Tse

August 9, 2018 at 2:54 pm

As predicted, Univision Deportes President Juan Carlos Rodriguez will spend approx $40,000 in extra production cost (1 or 2 announcers + 1 producer, at $300 each per day) to:

1. Fully produce EVERY UEFA Champions League group stage match for online distribution. For each “match day”, 16 matches will be played. 10 will be on TV (both matches in the 1pm ET slot, 3 matches in the 3:05pm ET slot) and 6 will be given away online via UnivisionDeportes (dot) com & UnivisionDeportes app with NO AUTHENTICATION

2. Fully produce 10 additional matches during the playoff round (August 21-22, August 28-29) to be given away online.

J.C. Rodriguez has absolutely no fear and plays the “sports TV” game like a total maniac.

He is the ONLY U.S.-based sports TV executive to have done the following in the past 5 months:

1. The first to assign 2 women (Iris Cisneros & Ana Caty Hernandez) to the booth ON SITE (at Azteca Stadium in Mexico City) to call a Men’s Liga MX match (Club America vs Leon on 10 March 2018)

2. The first to assign 3 women (Cisneros, Hernandez, & Gaby Fernandez de Lara) to the TV booth ON SITE (at Luzhniki Stadium in Moscow) to call a Men’s World Cup Final match (France vs Croatia on 15 July 2018, aired on Televisa Canal 9 & Canal U in Mexico)

3. The first to assign an engaged couple of opposite gender (Xavier Sol & Ana Caty Hernandez) to call a Liga MX match (Lobos BUAP vs Puebla on 29 July 2018) from the same sound booth. This is a risk a typical executive producer usually avoids like the plague.

J.C. Rodriguez is doing exactly what he is supposed to do against the likes of Matthew Hong, Lenny Daniels, and David Levy at Turner Sports: kick each and every one of them in the a**.

17. Eddie

August 9, 2018 at 2:39 pm

Is there for example of unvision and turner schedule of how many games on tv.

• Ritchie

August 9, 2018 at 2:59 pm

TNT: every Tuesday and Wednesday at 1pm and 3pm ET. They have no Europa games until the final.

18. Ritchie

August 9, 2018 at 2:28 pm

Direct tv now looks better all the time. I don’t see why anyone would choose Fubo over DTVNow.

• MDFootball

August 9, 2018 at 4:59 pm

I just recently switched from a combination of Vue and Sling Latino to DTV Now after Vue hiked their prices and Sling lost Univision. It works beautifully and looks great on the Apple TV and the $5 deportes package is an awesome value but their DVR is miles behind Vue… the recording come out at 30 fps and the audio is quite compressed. Hopefully that improves when they move out of Beta.

• Francesco

August 9, 2018 at 9:03 pm

That’s what I have — Vue and Sling. Which apps can you authenticate with your DTV login? Also, which package did you end up getting?

• Ritchie

August 9, 2018 at 11:56 pm

With DTVN I can login to the following apps:
          -espn
          -nbcsn
          -foxsportsgo
          -Bein connect
          -Univision deportes
          -nfl

• MDFootball

August 10, 2018 at 8:09 am

I have the Go Big package (55) plus deportes (5) and I used a promo code (YES3NOW) for 25 off the first 3 months so it’s 35 a month through end of October. I figure I’ll just re-evaluate after that. The only channel I don’t get that I did with Vue is FS2 but that’s become less relevant with Champion’s League moving.

The only other Sports apps I would add to Ritchie’s list is the Big 10 network and CBS Sports… if you are into anything on those channels.

• Francesco

August 10, 2018 at 1:24 pm

Thanks for the info. I’m only interested in Soccer, so I “need” BeIn, Univision and ESPN (and ESPN+).
            Which channels do you get with deportes (5)? Do you get Galavision?

I would love to cancel Vue and Sling…but I love the DVR functions of both services…I love the picture quality of Vue (Sling sucks)….and I’m thinking of switching to the Italian service on Sling so I can get Italian commentators for Serie A games. It seems that DTVN is the way to go as far as value is concerned. How is the picture quality, BTW?

• MDFootball

August 10, 2018 at 7:19 pm

Not sure what happened to my reply but I’ll try again… Deportes package has ESPN deportes, FOX deportes, Univision deportes, Bein Espanol, Gol and TyC.
              Galavision, Univision and UniMas are part of the Go Big package.
              The live stream quality is as good as Vue but like I said, the DVR quality is poor (30 frames per second)

19. Comicum18

August 9, 2018 at 2:04 pm

As a YoutubeTV costumer it pains me that they yet have to add more spanish channels. I f they don`t I´ll have to llok into Fubo Latino or one of the DirectTv Now promotions. Or go the VPN route and go Whith Bein Sports MENA or DAZN Canada, Choices, choices…

20. Steve

August 9, 2018 at 1:44 pm

Am I correct that Comcast Xfinity is screwing us over on this too by not allowing the Univision Deportes app? Comcast Xfinity is quite literally the worst. The. Worst.

• Christopher Harris

August 9, 2018 at 2:37 pm

Correct, Comcast Xfinity does not authenticate with the Univision Deportes app.