Warsaw (AFP) – Adam Nawalka is standing down as coach of Poland after his team’s disappointing World Cup performance.
Poland left Russia propping up their first round group after defeats to Senegal and Colombia, before salvaging some pride with a closing 1-0 win over Japan.
“I feel responsible for the fact that at the World Cup we didn’t fulfil our plans nor the expectations of supporters,” Nawalka said.
Polish football federation president Zbigniew Boniek told a press conference on Tuesday: “We are now looking for a new coach.”
He added: “I’d like to say a big thank you to Adam Nawalka for his five years work.”
Nawalka said he was leaving “with dignity” and believed that under his watch Polish football “has taken a step forward”.
The 60-year-old was appointed in late 2013 and led Poland to the quarter-finals of Euro 2016.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Where to find Jamaica vs. USWNT on US TV
- Haiti’s women footballers dream of international success
- ESPN wants FIFA 2030 World Cup rights
- Record crowd sees England women off to winning start at Euro 2022
- Veteran France keeper Mandanda joins Rennes after Marseille exit
- Italy’s Pessina moves to ambitious Monza on loan
- Adams joins American contingent at Leeds
- Veteran France keeper Mandanda set for Rennes after Marseille exit
- Chelsea closing in on deal for Man City’s Sterling – reports
- Belgium golden generation’s last chance at winning World Cup