Saturday’s World Cup encounter between Mexico and South Korea averaged more than 11 million viewers on US television across Telemundo and FOX combined.
Mexico beat Korea Republic, 2-1, delivering 4,433,000 viewers across FOX, the second-most-watched match of this year’s tournament on FOX or FS1. Meanwhile, Telemundo averaged 6.6 million TV-only viewers for Mexico-South Korea in the two-hour match window and 6.02 million for the full coverage (10:30 a.m.-1 p.m. ET), ranking as the network’s second most-watched sporting event ever (behind last Sunday’s Mexico-Germany match) and the 9th most-watched World Cup match in Spanish-language history (393 matches through Saturday, including World Cup finals, since 1994).
As a total average between FOX and Telemundo combined, the viewing audience for Mexico-Korea averaged 11,033,000 viewers, which is just shy of the 11,122,000 average for Mexico-Germany.
Of note, Telemundo’s TV-only viewership for El Tri’s 2-1 victory peaked at 7.61 million.
Also, Telemundo is reporting that the game averaged a Total Audience Delivery of 7.2 million viewers across Telemundo, TelemundoDeportes.com, and the Telemundo Deportes En Vivo and NBC Sports apps, according to live plus same day fast national data released today by Nielsen, and digital data from Adobe Analytics.
Telemundo’s numbers are even more impressive given that FOX Sports, who have been broadcasting games on the over-the-air FOX network and FS1, are in 116 million homes (FOX) and 84 million homes (FS1) respectively. Telemundo is in more than 53 million homes in the United States.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- ESPN wants FIFA 2030 World Cup rights
- Record crowd sees England women off to winning start at Euro 2022
- Veteran France keeper Mandanda joins Rennes after Marseille exit
- Italy’s Pessina moves to ambitious Monza on loan
- Adams joins American contingent at Leeds
- Veteran France keeper Mandanda set for Rennes after Marseille exit
- Chelsea closing in on deal for Man City’s Sterling – reports
- Belgium golden generation’s last chance at winning World Cup
- Dortmund swoop for Haller to fill Haaland void
- Frenkie de Jong not for sale, says Barca chief