Despite being available in far fewer homes in the United States, Telemundo is generating more viewers across television than FOX Sports after the first five days of the 2018 FIFA World Cup tournament.
Telemundo is in more than 53 million homes in the United States. FOX Sports, who have been broadcasting games on the over-the-air FOX network and FS1, are in 116 million homes (FOX) and 84 million homes (FS1) respectively.
On Spanish-language television, Telemundo is averaging 2.19 million viewers per game while FOX Sports is averaging 2.13 million, according to viewing data researched by World Soccer Talk sources including FOX Sports, Telemundo and Showbuzz Daily. That compares to the 2014 World Cup on ESPN networks that averaged 4.5 million after 64 games (the 2010 average was 3.2 million; 2006 average was 2.3 million).
Overall, when the viewing averages for Telemundo and FOX Sports are combined after the 14 games thus far, the 2018 FIFA World Cup is averaging 4.17 million viewers across US television.
Looking at the numbers below, Telemundo are generating greater viewing figures for most of the games that feature Hispanic or Portuguese-speaking nations. Likewise, FOX Sports generates more viewers for games involving non-Hispanic teams than Telemundo. The eventual winner in the TV ratings battle between Telemundo and FOX Sports could be determined by how far the Hispanic and Portuguese-speaking teams advance in the tournament, such as Mexico, Brazil, Spain, Argentina, Brazil, Portugal, Peru, Colombia and others.
Ultimately, a deep run for Mexico will be a dream come true to boost Telemundo’s viewing numbers. For FOX Sports, Mexico will be a big plus but to a lesser extent than the Spanish-language broadcaster since the Telemundo has done a much better job with its World Cup coverage.
Here are the World Cup TV viewing numbers for June 14 through June 18. Note that the numbers shown below are for average TV viewership only and don’t take into consideration streaming.
|MATCH #||DATE & KICKOFF TIME||GAME||TELEMUNDO||FOX SPORTS|
|1||Thurs., June 14; 11am ET||Russia-Saudi Arabia||1,370,000||1,494,000|
|2||Fri., June 15, 8am ET||Egypt-Uruguay||1,190,000||903,000|
|3||Fri., June 15, 11am ET||Morocco-Iran||949,000||1,695,000|
|4||Fri., June 15, 2pm ET||Portugal-Spain||1,840,000||2,924,000|
|5||Sat., June 16, 6am ET||France-Australia||490,000||796,000|
|6||Sat., June 16, 9am ET||Argentina-Iceland||2,210,000||2,973,000|
|7||Sat., June 16, Noon ET||Peru-Denmark||2,450,000||2,001,000|
|8||Sat., June 16, 3pm ET||Croatia-Nigeria||1,930,000||2,178,000|
|9||Sun., June 17, 8am ET||Costa Rica-Serbia||1,660,000||1,826,000|
|10||Sun., June 17, 11am ET||Mexico-Germany||7,120,000||4,002,000|
|11||Sun., June 17, 2pm ET||Brazil-Switzerland||4,350,000||4,086,000|
|12||Mon., June 18, 8am ET||Korea-Sweden||746,000||750,000|
|13||Mon. June 18, 11am ET||Belgium-Panama||1,600,000||1,364,000|
|14||Mon., June 18, 2pm ET||England-Tunisia||1,430,000||1,931,000|
|TOTAL TV VIEWERS:||29,335,000||28,923,000|
|AVG. TV VIEWERS:||2,192,083.333||2,135,666.667|
We’ll update the soccer TV ratings data throughout the World Cup in our TV ratings archive.
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family