Chicago (AFP) – Abby Dahlkemper, a defender for reigning Women’s World Cup champion United States, was issued a public warning Friday by the US Anti-Doping Agency for not obtaining a therapeutic-use exemption (TUE) for a banned medication.
The 24-year-old has played 18 matches for the American side, most recently last month against Mexico, and plays for the league-leading North Carolina Courage of the National Women’s Soccer League.
Dahlkemper used the prescription medication spironolactone, a prohibited substance by the World Anti-Doping Agency, as a skin treatment under doctor supervision and declared so on her doping control form but had not obtained a TUE prior to being drug tested.
“As athletes, we are responsible for knowing about the medications we take,” Dahlkemper said. “I made the mistake of not being more diligent about a medication my doctor prescribed for my persistent skin condition and I should have confirmed that the medication was free of all banned substances.
“The medication I am taking does not have any performance-enhancing effects and my use of this medication has since been approved by USADA,” she said. “I appreciate US Soccer guiding me through this process and I’m grateful that this has been resolved.”
Dahlkemper later obtained a TUE for the medication, missing an NWSL match last month while the paperwork was processed.
“She received the medication from a personal doctor to treat acne and it is not related to performance enhancement in any way,” US Soccer said in a statement.
“Abby had declared the use of her medication on her doping control form at the time of the sample collection, and has subsequently obtained a TUE for the medication from USADA, so she can continue to take it.”
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- ESPN reveals Women’s Euro 2022 commentators and analysts
- Barcelona sell 10% of Liga TV rights to US fund
- How Antonio Conte revitalized Spurs into an elite side
- Morata to return to Atletico as loan at Juventus ends
- Tottenham closing on deal for Everton’s Richarlison – reports
- England’s White eyes Euro glory to cap glorious career
- With royal backing and a Snoop Dogg rap, Malaysia minnows challenge best in Asia
- LAFC ‘perfect for me’ — Chiellini
- Three Boca supporters arrested for racism, Nazi salute in Brazil
- Lukaku completes return to Inter on loan from Chelsea