Le Bourget (France) (AFP) – Brazil star Neymar flew back into France on Friday to rejoin his club Paris Saint-Germain after an operation on a broken foot bone in March.
An AFP photographer at the scene took shots of Neymar seemingly at ease as he strolled to an awaiting van wearing sports shoes, no sign of a foot brace and not using crutches.
Neymar, who arrived by private jet at an airport outside Paris, is continuing his recovery following the operation and his focus is firmly set on being fit to lead Brazil’s World Cup challenge in Russia this summer.
Neymar’s injury sent shockwaves through Brazil after the iconic forward had also been injured in their home World Cup in 2014, with the team losing 7-1 in the semi-finals to Germany in a landmark humiliation in his absence.
The 26-year-old forward — whose 222 million-euro ($263 million) transfer from Barcelona to PSG last year made him the most expensive player in history — broke a bone in his right foot while playing for the French club on February 25 and has been in a race for fitness since undergoing surgery in Brazil on March 3.
According to French sports paper L’Equipe, he has been walking without crutches for two weeks but he said last week that he would not play again before undergoing a final medical on May 17, two days ahead of PSG’s last match of the season.
PSG coach Unai Emery admitted Thursday he had not spoken to Neymar for “some weeks”, as the striker stayed at his coastal mansion in Rio.
“I’m not sure when he’s coming, I’ve heard he is coming though,” Emery said.
“He needs to be left alone to work with the physios, but we also want him to be with us for the last match.”
Neymar has scored 28 goals in all competitions for the French side this season since leaving Barcelona.
PSG were beaten by Real Madrid in the Champions League as Neymar missed the second leg, but have regained the French league title, won the League Cup and face third-division Les Herbiers in the French Cup final on Tuesday.
The surgeon who operated on Neymar’s foot told Brazilian daily Folha de Sao Paulo on Friday the objective is “that he is 100 percent fit for the start of World Cup training”, which is scheduled for May 21 at Teresopolis near Rio.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- ViX+ reveals pricing details and soccer coverage plans
- Get a Paramount+ one month free trial for a limited time
- Who should host the World Cup Final in 2026?
- Where to find Orlando Pride vs. Racing Louisville on US TV
- Ronaldo wants to leave Man United – reports
- Kylian Mbappé can shock the world again at World Cup 2022
- What is the best soccer stadium in the world?
- Where to find Santos vs. Flamengo on US TV
- Where to find Fluminense vs. Corinthians on US TV
- Romelu Lukaku homecoming provides opportunity at Inter Milan