Rome (AFP) – Jurgen Klopp said on Tuesday that Liverpool are reaping the benefits of the footballing maturity Mohamed Salah gained during his spell at Roma.
The 25-year-old Egyptian returns to the Stadio Olimpico for Wednesday’s Champions League semi-final second leg looking to add to his 43 goals this season — including two in last week’s first leg at Anfield — compared to 34 over two seasons for the Italian club.
“He has matured. He got confidence here. He came from Chelsea to Florence and played a good season, not as good as the season at Rome, and then he grew up and is now the player he is,” Klopp told a press conference in the Italian capital.
“We are the lucky guys who have him now in the team, that’s how it is. It’s not that I would’ve explained to him exactly how to score goals, he knew that before already, but each striker in the world doesn’t start as an 18-year-old goal-getter.
“He needs to make his own experiences and that’s what Mo did in very difficult circumstances.
“Coming early from Egypt to Switzerland and doing all that journey, and carrying all that responsibility for all the people, for a whole country, and he is really quite cool with it.
“At the end he has good teammates — they love helping him and they love how he helps them. That’s it.”
Salah was named the English football writers’ footballer of the year on Tuesday, completing a personal double after also winning the players’ award.
Liverpool take a 5-2 aggregate lead into the second leg as they look to reach an eighth European Cup final but first since 2007.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Corberan resigns as coach of English second-tier Huddersfield
- AC Milan make ex-delivery man Messias’ move permanent
- How US Soccer can take a stance on overturning Roe v Wade
- Where to find Jamaica vs. USWNT on US TV
- Haiti’s women footballers dream of international success
- ESPN wants FIFA 2030 World Cup rights
- Record crowd sees England women off to winning start at Euro 2022
- Veteran France keeper Mandanda joins Rennes after Marseille exit
- Italy’s Pessina moves to ambitious Monza on loan
- Adams joins American contingent at Leeds