MLS team LAFC and Bundesliga club Borussia Dortmund are unlikely bedfellows, but both trendy clubs have been working together behind the scenes.
Speaking exclusively to World Soccer Talk during a recent visit to Miami, Borussia Dortmund Head of Business Development Benedikt Scholz said, “We’re very close to the LAFC franchise. We’ve learned from them how they handle marketing and how they handle the brand, which is completely different [to us].
“We came to know LAFC about a year and a half ago when they came to Dortmund. There was contact made through people at each club. They got to know each other. From this [introduction], the whole story began. It’s been fruitful.”
That close working relationship and sharing best practices has resulted in a friendly between both clubs scheduled for May 22 at the new Banc of California Stadium in Los Angeles (tickets).
When it comes to promoting the BVB brand internationally, the German club has been traveling to Asia every off-season for several years.
“It’s always part of our international ambition to learn wherever we go. We learned a lot from the J-League — how they treat football and how they develop their own talent,” said Scholz. “We never see ourselves as the teacher. We’re always happy to share our experiences. We share ‘our way’ and what has worked for us, which doesn’t necessarily work for the US but for Japanese clubs, maybe they can pick out the bits and pieces that work for them.”
Dortmund’s visit to the United States is the first time since the 1950’s that the club has played in America.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Euro glory would make Liverpool the best ever: McManaman
- Liverpool’s Salah eyes Champions League revenge against Real
- Claims stemming from Australia football probe referred to police
- Liverpool eye revenge against Real Madrid in Champions League final rematch
- Chile name Argentine Berizzo as new coach after World Cup qualification failure
- Canada Soccer cancels Iran football friendly: statement
- Paris readies for Liverpool fan invasion
- How to watch Champions League Final for free without cable
- Aston Villa to sign Sevilla defender Diego Carlos
- RB Salzburg midfielder Aaronson joins Leeds