London (AFP) – Two Italian men were charged on Thursday in connection with an assault which left a 53-year-old Liverpool fan in a critical condition before Tuesday’s Champions League clash with AS Roma.
Filippo Lombardi, 20, has been charged with violent disorder and wounding and inflicting grievous bodily harm, Merseyside Police said in a statement.
Daniele Sciusco, 29, was also charged with violent disorder.
The two men will appear in court later on Thursday.
Sean Cox, 53, who had travelled over from Ireland for the match, suffered a serious head injury after being attacked outside Liverpool’s Anfield Stadium.
Cox, described as a “cornerstone of his local community” by Irish media, is being treated for his injuries at a neurological centre, where his condition remains critical, Merseyside Police said.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Haiti’s women footballers dream of international success
- ESPN wants FIFA 2030 World Cup rights
- Record crowd sees England women off to winning start at Euro 2022
- Veteran France keeper Mandanda joins Rennes after Marseille exit
- Italy’s Pessina moves to ambitious Monza on loan
- Adams joins American contingent at Leeds
- Veteran France keeper Mandanda set for Rennes after Marseille exit
- Chelsea closing in on deal for Man City’s Sterling – reports
- Belgium golden generation’s last chance at winning World Cup
- Dortmund swoop for Haller to fill Haaland void