Connect with us

FOX Sports

FOX to air World Cup with mostly US commentators from LA studio

As a result of the US Men’s National Team crashing out of World Cup qualifying, FOX Sports has made the decision to take drastic cuts with their World Cup commentary team. Instead of hiring the best in the business, FOX Sports will feature an almost all-American crew. And instead of having the commentators calling the vast majority of the games from the stadiums, like Telemundo is doing, FOX has decided to only send the teams of John Strong-Stu Holden and JP Dellcamera-Tony Meola to Russia. The remainder of the games will be called off monitors from the FOX Sports studios in Los Angeles.

In an interview with the Associated Press, FOX Sports Executive Producer David Neal said, “The technology allows us now to leave a lot of our operations in U.S., and there’s no reason not to do that.

”You have to adjust to your circumstances, and this is what works best for us now given the circumstances.”

It sounds like FOX Sports has thrown in the towel before a single ball has been kicked.

Instead of trying to raise the bar with its coverage and hiring the best talent available, FOX Sports will feature the following commentary teams based in their LA studio:

• Mark Followill and Warren Barton
• Jorge Perez Navarro and Mariano Trujillo
• Glenn Davis and Cobi Jones
• Derek Rae and Aly Wagner

Unfortunately even the duo featuring the skilled Derek Rae and Aly Wagner will have a tough job trying to raise the level of expertise on display from FOX. The combinations of John Strong/Stu Holden and JP Dellacamera/Tony Meola will help, but overall this is the weakest list of World Cup commentators since World Cup 1994.

It’s not an issue of accents either. The expectation among soccer fans is that the commentators for a World Cup should be the highest level no matter what. Plus soccer fans expect that the announcers will be calling the game from the stadiums. In FOX’s case, they’ve failed in both these areas.

According to a World Soccer Talk source, FOX Sports were in discussions last year to hire more talented commentators. But given FOX’s decision to slash budgets, the American broadcaster decided to hire a mostly American crew instead.

The hiring decisions that FOX Sports have made are perplexing. The much-improved Keith Costigan is a far better commentator than Mark Followill and Glenn Davis. Plus, whether you love him or hate him, FOX Sports’ most talented soccer analyst (Eric Wynalda) is absent from the list even though he’s still under contract by FOX. No analyst at FOX Sports can read a game as well as Wynalda, so his exclusion doesn’t make sense unless the broadcaster is trying to play political favorites with MLS and the US Soccer Federation.

Even FOX Sports co-commentator Wagner admits that calling games off a monitor is a challenge. In the interview with AP, she says, “It’s not an advantage at all. You’re limited in what you get to see. I’m hoping that we’ll have maybe an extra cam, like a tactical-view cam. That will help. But sometimes you’re just limited to what the viewers at home see. It just gives you a different perspective when you are able to be at the game.”

Calling games off a TV screen in a Los Angeles studio does a disservice to the World Cup viewing experience. In a recent email from one of the top commentators in the world, he told World Soccer Talk “There is no way that a couple of guys in a remote TV booth can possibly react to a moment in the same way as someone privileged to be watching it at first-hand. You have to be there to know how it feels and genuinely to articulate it.”

Compared to the last rights-holder, ESPN had four crews in South Africa in 2010 and called seven matches from the International Broadcast Center in Johannesburg, then used five pairings four years ago in Brazil and had 13 games broadcast from the IBC in Rio de Janeiro.

For FOX Sports, almost all of the games will be announced from their LA studio except for the opening game between Russia-Saudi Arabia (Dellacamera/Meola), select games by Strong/Holden and the final eight games of the competition.

200+ Channels With Sports & News
  • Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
  • Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
  • Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
  • Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
  • Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
  • Includes USA, NBC, FOX, FS1 + more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
  • Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
  • Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
  • Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
  • Price: $4.99/mo
  • Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
  • Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
  • Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
  • Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
  • Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more

78 Comments

78 Comments

1. sheila crozier

July 9, 2018 at 10:23 am

Derek Rae and Aly Wagner are in my estimation the worst commentators of this World Cup tournament. Derek manages to have a crystal ball mind set to predict the outcome of a match before it’s even half time and has a team advancing to the next stage prematurely…so annoying. Fox Sports….if you are going to televise such important events on your networks…. Please employ quality commentators who know their craft….I ended up watching the matches with the sound muted for the most part.

2. Tom

July 1, 2018 at 3:34 pm

As an an Englishman, I must apologise for Warren Barton. His English, grammar, pronunciation and syntax is worse than his football was when playing was for Wimbledon and Newcastle. He cannot say “th” no matter how and he tries, it either a ‘v’ of an ‘f’ and everything is “everyfink” I switch to the Spanish feed to avoid the shame.

Kate is equally bad, with her “Let’s tak a look at the Group Hach standings” Really? the letter H has an Hach at the beginning? Who would have thought? Does the letter ‘W’ star with w? Where do Fox find these imports?

Aly Wagner is almost as poor, why is she even asked this is the men’s competition.

3. Rod

June 30, 2018 at 2:32 am

The Fox commentators have been atrocious, They just won’t shut up! It’s as if they’re getting paid by the word. I’ve always liked how the British commentators keep their comments to a minimum and let the beautiful game be seen and enjoyed.

4. Brendan

June 26, 2018 at 12:58 am

Derek Rae is fantastic . Ally Wagner is a disaster . Put Warren Barton in there and send them to Russia after today’s games with the atmosphere in the stadiums and Fox might be on to a winner

5. Dandy

June 23, 2018 at 2:40 pm

Coverage has been incredibly poor for this World Cup, and with the exception of Derek and Ally the commentary has been awful. Incorrect terminology, bias for teams / players, gerenal lack of experience.

6. Jack

June 18, 2018 at 9:13 am

Aly Wagner and Cobi Jones are perhaps the must UNQUALIFIED people one could possibly select for futbol commentary.

7. Ken Griffiths

June 17, 2018 at 1:15 pm

Just like British/English would be bad as NFL commentators – the same is true of Americans commentating on Football Matches ( soccer). Unbelievably bad !!!
    If you watched these World Cup matches on the BBC or ITV – would be like watching a whole different game and much more exciting !!!
    I have to turn the volume to zero – they are so annoying !!!

8. Steve Matthews

June 16, 2018 at 12:23 pm

“Peru is becoming a Tornado in Russia 2018” a quote from the idiot commentator on Fox during the Peru v Denmark game. He cannot get the players names right, Kasper Peter Schemichael, broke English, childish comments, just wants to scream as loud as he can it is obvious that Fox got this Mexican commentator on the cheap but what a joke ( yoke) this moron is. US team not good enough and now commentators just pathetic. Fox bring back the British commentators they are the best.

9. Al

June 15, 2018 at 11:17 pm

The pre and post game commentators have been terrible. When Alexi is the most coherent, there needs to be an evaluation of who they bring on. Just because they were great players doesn’t mean I want to see them struggling to evaluate the game in their second language. Fox “Do better” 1/2 a Billion $$$ and this is what you give us. Who interviewed Hernan Crespo and said “yes” you’ll be fine??? So Bad, I feel awful for him, trying so hard, but could not come up with a coherent point, and even when given the easiest of questions , he couldn’t get it done…

10. Tim Jowers

May 14, 2018 at 3:15 pm

Good news. I am very much looking forward to the tournament. Hey, wouldn’t be much of a tournament if they didn’t take the best teams. Too bad America has such a dysfunctional US Soccer governing body. I’m sure Americans will figure it out soon. Pro teams are growing by leaps and bounds.
    Will be nice to hear Americans talking and hearing an American viewpoint on the game. Maybe they can sneak in “a real cracker” and “goooool” just to keep up the nostalgia.
    What I REALLY care about is the field cameras. I wish MLS had these. I WISH we could get some panned out camera work too. In short, lots of cameras worked by people who actually know soccer, would be really, really nice.

11. FlatBackFour

May 11, 2018 at 3:32 pm

Comparing Fox’s coverage of football to what NBC has done with the Premier League is night and day. My worst nightmare is Fox buying the PL rights. If so, I’m moving to England.

12. keane16

May 10, 2018 at 3:25 pm

Business as usual – treating soccer fans like second-class citizens, like we should be eternally grateful they give us the games from a broom cupboard, punctuated with inane ramblings and ‘banter’ in the studio where proper analysis should be. Give it to MSNBC or at least ESPN next time.

13. Cantona

May 8, 2018 at 8:31 pm

Just curious .. what is TSN in Canada doing with the World Cup.. who will they be using for their commentary teams? I may be up there in July..

Cantona—-

• Amir

May 9, 2018 at 5:29 pm

Most likely TSN and CTV (free over the air channel) will be using “Kristian Jack”, “Luke Wileman”, “Steven Caldwell” plus some Canadian hosts.
      The commentators will be British using the international feeds.

this is how it’s been done for previous tournaments such as world cup and Euro cup.

14. James white

May 8, 2018 at 4:30 pm

ESPN Radio had rights for English in 2014, right?

• Christopher Harris

May 8, 2018 at 4:47 pm

Correct.

15. ¡Somos Hecho En México!

May 8, 2018 at 11:58 am

Who has radio rights for the United States in English and Spanish for the 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia?

• Christopher Harris

May 8, 2018 at 12:02 pm

Fútbol de Primera has the rights. You can find more details about them on their website at http://www.fdpradio.com/

• ¡Somos Hecho En México!

May 8, 2018 at 3:58 pm

So Fútbol de Primera will broadcast both in English and Spanish.

• Christopher Harris

May 8, 2018 at 4:02 pm

Presumably, yes. But we haven’t heard any information about the radio coverage, so it’s possible that FDP may sublicense the rights to Sirius XM or someone else.

16. Siempre Con Universidad Nacional

May 3, 2018 at 4:21 pm

I understand that. But do you know the tv schedule of the shows around the world cup for Univision?

• Christopher Harris

May 3, 2018 at 4:35 pm

Univision hasn’t yet released any schedules for their World Cup shoulder-programming.

17. Siempre Con Universidad Nacional

May 3, 2018 at 3:51 pm

Do you know something about the coverage of Univision’s 2018 FIFA World Cup?

• Christopher Harris

May 3, 2018 at 3:59 pm

Univision will have lots of programming around the World Cup but Telemundo has the exclusive Spanish-language rights to the games itself.

18. Alex

May 2, 2018 at 12:45 pm

Telemundo..
    Goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooal!!!!!!!!
    Lala’s and co. they can kiss my …………

19. NSW

May 2, 2018 at 8:40 am

Christopher, don’t worry, just mute it!
    When I was growing up in England, the commentary crew could just about make or break a game. I remember my mates and I would get almost as excited about the commentators assigned to a match as the match itself.
    Now I’m so well versed in the intricacies of soccer that I trust my judgement more and I experimented with muting parts of the game. Now that’s my default setting, but I have the remote handy just in case…
    Most of the English/British commentators are polished (especially Jon Champion and Peter Drury) but their sidekicks are babbling imbeciles.
    There was one analyst–Jovan Kiorsky [sic], I believe– who insisted that the Athletico Madrid thug who literally stamped on an Arsenal player’s ankle should not have received a deserved second yellow card “because of the occasion.” I can’t believe they were actually paying him for that “analysis.” As if the rules care about the occasion…I wonder if he actually placed a bet on Athletico, such was his bias.
    It took some getting used to, but now I prefer watching most of the games in silence, and my T.V. sure appreciates not having stuff thrown at it. Of course, when there’s an argy-bargy, goals, disallowed goals, penalties, viscous tackles, cards, etc., then I un-mute to confirm what I’m seeing. I also un-mute for most of the national anthems, but maybe not the Brazilian. That was almost embarrassing last time — I respect their Brazilian pride (it is a great country in many ways) but their emotion, including crying, was a little overwrought. Against Germany in the final, I think they were drained before they even kicked a ball, but that’s another article…

20. dave seaman

April 30, 2018 at 9:40 am

the best news of this article is strong/holden are going to be in russia. with any luck they’ll get to experience all of the russia’s hospitality features it has to offer. there is the dreadful food, the outrageously priced sh&tty hotel rooms and best of all the russian fans that just love to beat the #%*& out of europeans and americans. if this is the only way to get rid of these dreadful announcers then maybe the FOX WC broadcast can deliver a positive outcome.

ps – if anyone thinks this is harsh, just look up what the russian hooligans did at the 2016 Euros. thugs that were arrested and deported, came back with russian gov’t support for more…..

21. JohnnyBGoodluck

April 27, 2018 at 10:56 pm

So what is Telemundo going to do better than Fox, other than have people at the Stadium and not for every game? What the heck would you want Fox to do better? They’re mediocre, but not dreadful. ESPN just had a lot of flashy BS, commentantors were solid, not the best. Look at the of the day we’re in America, WTF do you expect, but if this was the Super Bowl, they would send 2 armies and some… Most American sports executives don’t give a F… about soccer. That’s a fact!

• Smoley

April 29, 2018 at 2:38 pm

If it made them as much money as the NFL does, then I’d imagine that they’d care quite a bit. It’s hard for me to blame the businessman when the market wouldn’t deliver on his investment.

22. David

April 27, 2018 at 5:31 pm

If Fox want’s to go the cheap route, they should just use the world feed and save viewers from having to listen to Lalas, Meola, and company.

23. Lewis Courtney

April 26, 2018 at 3:30 pm

Why oh why do we have to suffer from Fox? They are not even at the game live. Delayed coverage from American commentator talking about “defense and offence” and who don’t even know what proper football is.

24. Anthony

April 26, 2018 at 2:11 pm

Fox is gonna love it when Morocco gets the World Cup 2026 instead of the US…

Fox should just sell the rights back to ESPN at a discount and let them handle it

25. Azer

April 26, 2018 at 10:35 am

Please stop talking about Telemundo people. In many markets the channel is only in SD – standard definition with black stripes on the screen. I would gladly tune in but the picture is narrow, no HD. This is going to be very tough. I wish I was living in any of the towns along the USA-Canada border where Canadian TV is available.

• mccort912

April 26, 2018 at 12:44 pm

That is a problem with your TV provider not Telemundo, they offer their feed in HD. I know for a fact, Uverse, Direct TV have it. Streaming services Direct TV now and YouTube TV definitely have it in HD for Telemundo and Universo. Also the Telemundo deportes app is in HD.

• Brad

April 28, 2018 at 9:18 pm

I would have to pay another $20 just to get any Spanish speaking channel…not happening.

26. PhillySpur

April 26, 2018 at 9:53 am

Fox coverage of any sport is horrible so I’m not surprised. At least with the US, Italy and Ireland not qualifying, I really don’t care and won’t be watching much.

27. Tony

April 26, 2018 at 8:50 am

No surprise then .The Champions league commentary has been terrible so it continues into the world cup. Looks like Telemundo are going to get a lot more viewers me included !

28. Brant

April 26, 2018 at 12:10 am

No Jon Champion is at least a nice change of pace.

29. Ozymandias

April 25, 2018 at 11:09 pm

For this World Cup, just imagine what could have been. A tournament hosted in England. Broadcasted in the US by ESPN. A tournament free of that VAR crap.

• Dcudiplomat96

April 25, 2018 at 11:37 pm

A euros nob wet dream??? #smh

• MLS Freak

April 26, 2018 at 12:52 pm

They should have done a MLS centric broadcast crew for all matches, the best MLS local broadcasters and paired them with active players, imagine Joe Schmo from Sporting Kansas city local broadcast paired with Bradley or Altidore, ratings would have been through the roof!

30. Brendan

April 25, 2018 at 10:40 pm

Kate Abdo what a disaster . Doesn’t have a clue . It will be dull World Cup . I think I will watch it on TELEMUNDO . GOOOOOOOL

31. Jerry

April 25, 2018 at 9:41 pm

If anyone believes that a soccer fan watches matches because of the commentators, he’s nuts.

• Brad

April 28, 2018 at 9:16 pm

Spot on. We watch because of the teams.

• Hmmm

May 2, 2018 at 5:34 pm

I don’t disagree, but I can’t get into a variety of different leagues that I have had intentions of following when the commentary is crap.

• FlatBackFour

May 11, 2018 at 3:27 pm

I’m a huge football fan who watches matches for the commentary. Most of the time I don’t care which teams are playing, just choosing the games based on the commentator. I guess I’m weird. I also don’t actually watch most games, I listen to them while doing other things. Wireless headphones are the best invention since the wheel.

32. Kopite

April 25, 2018 at 9:33 pm

I always use a VPN on my phone and connect to England and listen to either Talksport or BBC FIVE Live over a Bose bluetooth speaker. Turn down the volume on the tele. American commentators are rubbish. They bring too much drama and they want to do a podcast during the match. American sports are very digital and slow. They need the commentators to be dramatic with american sports because there’s nothing going on and it’s slow. With football, it’s analog, it’s always moving and there’s plenty of drama. Just shut up. Bring back the english commentators

• burnsey

April 26, 2018 at 4:44 pm

is the commentary in sync with the action on the screen, or is there a ton of buffering. I’m interested in this. These Fox studio announcers, coupled with Arlo, combine to suck the enjoyment out of the telecasts. May i ask what VPN you use? I know there are free options as well.

• FlatBackFour

May 11, 2018 at 3:25 pm

I’ve tried doing this (BBC audio with domestic video) but the BBC is usually about a minute behind, which is really annoying. Still, better than Fox!

33. Smoley

April 25, 2018 at 8:12 pm

I’d like an alternate audio stream available for these matches where they are called by members of the USMNT that played in that last qualifier against Trindad & Tobago.

34. fsquid

April 25, 2018 at 5:41 pm

Yea, who is in the white dress? asking for a friend

• Christopher Harris

April 25, 2018 at 5:44 pm

Kate Abdo.

• fsquid

April 25, 2018 at 5:47 pm

Well at least the English gave us that.

35. Henry Reichman

April 25, 2018 at 5:33 pm

Why did FOX redesign their broadcast visuals, changing the scoreboard on the top of the screen?Will the new scoreboard be used for matches in their coverage?

• Christopher Harris

April 25, 2018 at 5:45 pm

Looks like that’ll be the new scoreboard they’ll use during the World Cup. The visuals have had an overhaul in the past couple of weeks.

36. Craig

April 25, 2018 at 5:15 pm

In that picture, your eyes are drawn to the beautiful woman in the amazing white dress.. only to have them burned out by the plaid “suit” with flood waters, no socks, and converse sneakers. Way to drag it back to the fraternity house, pal.

37. cm asia

April 25, 2018 at 5:01 pm

A 3 month subscription to learn Spanish through Rosetta Stone is on sale for only $79!

Hello, Telemundo.

38. Jennifer

April 25, 2018 at 4:52 pm

So basically it’ll mostly suck, unless you get a match Ian Darke is doing. It’s not about the accent. It’s about the full understanding of the international game, something that even the most seasoned US announcers rarely have.

39. Joel Charles

April 25, 2018 at 3:00 pm

Big deal, I don’t need words to watch anyway. I like the line up too, people who want to hear commentary prefer it from faces they know. Americans don’t like to hear another language but their own, even English. Fortunately, soccer fans seems to be culturally different from the typical american.

• Sargento

April 25, 2018 at 4:01 pm

This is a dumbass comment if |i ever heard one before.

• trotringa

April 25, 2018 at 10:53 pm

yeah u are culturally different
      u are a bunch of commie-loving unamerican douchebags
      soccer = BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORING

y dont u watch some REAL AMERICAN SPORTS like football baseball or basketball u pathetic losers

• Lewis Courtney

April 26, 2018 at 3:39 pm

I’d rather watch paint dry thanks. American football is boring. Fat overpaid criminals running 10 yards then cut to commercials, every 10 seconds. And why are you wasting your time commentating on a soccer/football page?

40. Richard Drayton

April 25, 2018 at 2:57 pm

David Neal’s comment about technology and no need to actually be there is beyond stupid. Retarded, a word rarely used anymore, might be more accurate. The team promises to bring at least a second grade understanding of the sport and zero understanding of the different cultures and Geo-political underpinnings of the most important event in the world every four years. Oh, there is a history too, but I don’t expect this team to have studied anything resembling history farther back than the last Academy Awards. Mute button will have to do. Sorry, but as a very good American player who actually played in England for a year and scrimmaged from London to Africa and the continent with all sorts of people I should not expect much. World football is an art and a ongoing metaphor about life. Lets see if anyone on that Fox team even knows what I am talking about or who the famous French author was that used football in his writing? It is really frustrating being an American soccer fan with knowledge and passion for the game. In Brazil which is why you often see an extra pass or two near goal rather than a shot even an obvious one is that the real glory is bestowed on the passer not the goal scorer. Appropriate for the most important part of the game; passing. Not just the player kicking the ball, but the intricate almost instinctive movement of the teammates working to give the passer a target. And the play is not drawn up by a coach, then practiced repetitively like American Football. I’m sure the Fox team will bone up on these things before the World Cup, but actually asking people from other countries to explain to them hundreds of years of refinement probably is too much to ask a small cash starved network like Fox. Can’t wait.

• Beau Dure

April 26, 2018 at 12:10 pm

Yeah, you go compare your “I kicked around in London” with the crew they’ve assembled here.
      I’m sure Aly Wagner and Cobi Jones will bow to your expertise.

• Payaso

April 26, 2018 at 12:49 pm

Imagine thinking Cobi Jones is relevant in the sport, garbage player and even worse commentator. I am surprised you are on here though, didn’t think you got off your knees much. Nobody gives a crap about Aly Wagner either, I know this will offend the virtue signaling crowd which you and most US Soccer clowns are apart of but nobody does, don’t believe me? Checkout the lifetime ratings that they pay to air their games nobody watches.

41. daniel

April 25, 2018 at 2:46 pm

typical

42. Tom

April 25, 2018 at 2:30 pm

Typical Faux “do it on the cheap” again.

Surprised they are even using their own commentators instead of “the pool feed.”

Probably squeeze it in between stock car racing and roller derby replays

43. Lawrence Dockery

April 25, 2018 at 2:26 pm

Calling games from a studio is nothing new and can be fine if done correctly (like ESPN did during Euro 2016) but Fox rarely gets it right and it always sounds like they’re in a broom closet. As far as the commentary pairs, the only saving grace is Derek Rae. He’s a world class commentator and a familiar voice. Mark Followill is solid in my opinion as well. I thought he did a decent job during the Copa America Centenario. But Glenn Davis is just dreadful.

• Mccort912

April 25, 2018 at 2:31 pm

I wouldn’t even use fine, imo it is not anywhere near the same. For instance Derek Rae matches from the last world cup and Euros were from a studio, compare the quality of those to the ones called by Ian Darke and Jon Champion who were on site in both tournaments, it doesn’t compare, the crowd noise is off, they are relying on the same thing we are seeing to know what’s happening. Weekly listen to any beIN sport match and compare it to NBC or a Bundesliga when they take the world feed and Bundesliga when Keith Costigan ins calling it and it’s not even close to the same.

• Lawrence Dockery

April 25, 2018 at 2:54 pm

I totally agree that it’s not anywhere near the same. I always prefer games in the stadium as opposed to in a studio. But my point was that even in studio, if you put forth a little bit of effort, it’s not unbearable (as was the case with ESPN’s coverage of Euro 2016). Yes, live is better but studio can work ok. But with Fox, they don’t put forth any effort, so yes the sound is so awful and there’s no atmosphere.

44. Friend from London

April 25, 2018 at 2:23 pm

Get yourself a VPN and tune into free coverage from the UK on BBC and ITV. Good commentators, every match from the stadium, in-country presentation studio.

• mccort912

April 25, 2018 at 2:27 pm

Or watch on Telemundo if you can understand any Spanish or even if you can’t, not understanding a language will make about as much sense as whatever Lalas is saying.

• Curtis Williams

April 25, 2018 at 6:14 pm

Amen to that! Spanish-language coverage of the World cup has always been superior since Mexico ’86 via Univision,

• David

April 27, 2018 at 5:29 pm

True. The only thing you really need to understand is Gooooooaaaaaalllllll!

• Paul Turner

May 21, 2018 at 11:04 am

Absolutely. US commentators can’t hold to a candle to those employed by European Networks. This epitomizes the approach that certain TV networks still have to Soccer. It’s still a second class sport.

45. fsquid

April 25, 2018 at 2:20 pm

I’m guessing the ad buys haven’t been very strong since the US isn’t competing.

46. LIguy

April 25, 2018 at 2:18 pm

This is pretty predictable and I wouldn’t have imagined they would do anything different, just look at the coverage of the Champions League final, they don’t even give the final any respect or build up coverage. One of the best commentators they employ is Ian Paul Joy, he was great and probably the best commentator beIN sports has had and they don’t seem to use him for anything besides Bundesliga and occasional Europa league matches nobody is watching.

• Margaret Ross

June 25, 2018 at 12:36 pm

Aly Wagner keeps referring to the Goalposts and Goal as Sticks. Is that slick US slang? Even my grandson who plays the game was confused.