London (AFP) – Millwall’s Tim Cahill has been banned for three matches after the Australia star accepted a charge of violent conduct.
Cahill was charged by the Football Association after the midfielder initially avoided punishment for elbowing Fulham’s Ryan Fredericks on Friday.
The 38-year-old’s foul wasn’t spotted by the officials during Millwall’s 3-0 defeat at The Den, but the FA took retrospective action after reviewing video of the incident.
“Tim Cahill will miss Millwall’s next three matches after he admitted a charge of violent conduct,” an FA statement read.
“The incident, which was not seen by the match officials but caught on video, occurred in the 85th minute of Friday’s game against Fulham.”
Cahill will miss the last two games of the regular Championship season against Middlesbrough and Aston Villa as sixth-placed Millwall look to hold on to a play-off berth.
The former Everton player would also miss the play-off semi-final first leg if Millwall qualify.
Cahill, who started his professional career with Millwall in the 1990s, has made 10 substitute appearances for the Lions since making an emotional return to south London in January.
His move back to Millwall in the twilight of his career was motivated partly by a desire to prove his form and fitness in time to secure a place in Australia’s squad for this year’s World Cup in Russia.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Frenkie de Jong not for sale, says Barca chief
- Putellas loss strikes blow to Spain’s hopes of Euro 2022 breakthrough
- Why soccer needs better referees, not more technology
- Where to find England vs. Austria on US TV
- Hegerberg’s return for Norway sprinkles stardust on Euro 2022
- England aim to launch women’s Euro 2022 in style
- Spain star Putellas to miss Euro 2022 with knee injury
- Fantasy Premier League is live; Join our private league for 2022/23
- Euro ‘pressure a privilege’ for England captain Williamson
- Tudor promises Marseille fans he will deliver crowd-pleasing football