Abidjan (AFP) – Manchester City midfielder Yaya Toure said on Thursday he won’t play for the Ivory Coast during the international break due to “family reasons”.
The 34-year-old will miss Friday’s friendly with Togo and the game against Moldova on Monday in France despite having come out of international retirement last December.
“Sadly, I will not be able to take part in Ivory Coast’s matches during the international week. My family needs me at this moment and I hope the fans will understand,” Toure wrote on Twitter.
“I wish the team the best,” added the 100-times capped star.
On Tuesday, the Ivory Coast Football Federation (FIF) said it had “no news” of the whereabouts of four-time African Player of the Year Toure, who did not turn up for training.
The Ivory Coast failed to qualify for the World Cup.
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family