Sunday’s LaLiga game between Barcelona and Atletico Madrid saw a huge surge in viewership on beIN SPORTS and beIN SPORTS en Español in the United States as soccer fans tuned in to see who would gain the advantage in Spain’s top flight league.
The live broadcast of Barcelona-Atletico Madrid beat all Spanish-language sports games on Sunday with 539,000 viewers tuning in to watch the Spanish-language broadcast of the game. Plus, 185,000 viewers watched the English-language broadcast on beIN SPORTS.
The total of 752,000 viewers is far greater than what LaLiga games are accustomed to in the United States especially considering the number of homes that both channels are in (22 million for beIN SPORTS and 18 million for beIN SPORTS en Español). With very little promotion or advertising, the 752,000 almost trumped the much more promoted 2017 MLS Cup final (803,000 on ESPN) and December’s Real Madrid-Barcelona Clásico (845,000 viewers on beIN SPORTS and beIN SPORTS en Español combined).
Sunday’s Barca-Aleti match, which ended 1-0 to Barcelona, was number one among adults 18-49 with 340,000 viewers. Plus the viewership was greater than almost every soccer game aired last weekend including MLS’ opening weekend games featuring Houston-Atlanta (469,000; Univision), Seattle-LAFC (456,000; ESPN), LA Galaxy-Portland (180,000; FS1) and Sporting KC-NYCFC (168,000; FS1). The only two matches it failed to beat were Chivas-América (2.5 million; Univision) and Manchester City-Chelsea (785,000; NBCSN & Telemundo).
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
110+ channels, live & on-demand
- Price: $59.95/mo. for Plus Package
- Includes FOX, FS1, ESPN, TUDN & more