Paris (AFP) – Spartak Moscow youth team player Leonid Mironov will not be charged for racially abusing Liverpool teenager Rhian Brewster during a UEFA Youth League game last December, after UEFA found no evidence to confirm the allegation.
Mironov admitted swearing at Brewster, who was the leading scorer in England’s Under-17 World Cup triumph last year, but denied making a racial slur.
UEFA on Wednesday announced that an investigation had not found any evidence of racist abuse, after an inspector took statements from five players from each team and two match officials.
European football’s governing body acknowledged that Brewster’s allegation was made in good faith.
“Leonid Mironov was also interviewed by the inspector and stated that he indeed swore at Rhian Brewster, but he unreservedly denied using any discriminatory language,” UEFA said in a statement.
“After concluding his investigation, the inspector found no evidence to corroborate the allegations.”
Liverpool responded by calling on authorities to do more in tackling discrimination in the game, after Brewster had claimed UEFA “don’t care” about racism in the aftermath of the incident.
“We would like to place on record our admiration for the courage shown by Rhian Brewster throughout this process and commend his exemplary conduct,” a spokesman for the Premier League club told Britain’s Press Association.
“In keeping with Rhian’s stance, the club encourages football’s governing bodies to facilitate the most robust processes possible to identify and tackle discrimination in the game at all ages.”
Last month the English FA didn’t take any action against Liverpool first-team forward Roberto Firmino after the Brazilian was accused of racially abusing Everton’s Mason Holgate in a similar incident.
The 17-year-old Brewster has struggled with knee injuries since the Under-17 World Cup last season, and is yet to make an appearance for the Liverpool senior side.
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family