Madrid (AFP) – Atletico Madrid’s Wanda Metropolitano stadium will host this season’s Copa del Rey final between Barcelona and Sevilla, the Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) confirmed on Monday.
The 68,000-seat stadium, which was opened at the start of this season, will stage the game on Saturday, April 21.
The decision means that Atletico’s home game with Betis in La Liga, scheduled for that weekend, will have to be moved.
Barcelona’s home game with Villarreal and the match between Sevilla and Real Madrid have already been moved from that weekend to Wednesday, May 9.
Atletico’s ground was the only realistic option to host the final, with Real Madrid never likely to agree to stage the game at their 81,000-capacity Santiago Bernabeu.
Barcelona have won the Copa del Rey in each of the last three seasons and will be appearing in their fifth consecutive final.
Next season’s Champions League final will also be played at the Wanda Metropolitano.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Premier League board approve Chelsea takeover by Boehly group
- Top 15 US TV markets for Premier League viewership
- England boss Southgate concerned by rise in fan disorder
- Who is the greatest soccer player of all time?
- Spurs make £150m investment as Conte eyes transfer splash
- Real Madrid will keep winning without Mbappe, says Casemiro
- New CEO aims to make Bundesliga world’s ‘most digital league’
- UK government in talks with ‘international partners’ over Chelsea sale
- West Ham’s Bowen named in England squad for Nations League
- Bayern sign right-back Mazraoui from Ajax